New 2012 yz450f Suspension keeps botoming out

5 replies to this topic
  • max9string

Posted June 08, 2013 - 07:59 AM

So I went to the track and I had real issue with suspension I was bottoming out everywhere so when I got home I did some research how to adjust it properly, my bike is about 3 weeks old,

I weight 185 pounds so I did the fallowing

Rear shock

Sag 3.75 inch

HI comp: 1 turn 1/4
Low comp tried 7 - 6 clicks out
rebound tried 12 - 11 clicks out

Front Forks

Comp 5 clicks out
Rebound 7 Clicks out

Was a big improvement but on huge Gap and Jumps I still bottom out and my clicker are almost to the max =S ppl saying my frame is almost touching the ground when I hit a jump

so I wanted to make my front forks stiffer by adding 0.3 - 0.5 Oz of oil but I'm not sure if I need to separate my forks apart or just put it through the bleeding screw on top =S

Help would be appreciated

Thank you

• Monk

Posted June 08, 2013 - 08:01 AM

You need heavier springs....

Edited by originalmonk, June 08, 2013 - 08:02 AM.

• max9string

Posted June 08, 2013 - 08:11 AM

I would like to know how to add oil in my forks before trying new spring im pretty close to perfect just need a bit stiffer in front

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted June 08, 2013 - 08:15 AM

Pop the bleeders open and syringe it in.....

Without proper springs your suspension will never be close to good. Paul Thede says it time and time again that springs are the most overlooked performance mod you csn buy....

• FinchFan194

Posted June 08, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Yup, the first thing you should do is put in the proper springs...

• zeuszuki

Posted June 08, 2013 - 11:12 AM

With gear etc you probably weigh more than the stock springs are designed to support , new springs would be the best option.
However, you can add oil to your forks. The manual even states a range of oil volumes. Best way is to use a fork spanner, undo the top ( outer nut ) while the bike is on a stand and the forks are hanging and fill the outer chamber with the extra oil ( S1 ). You will need to undo the bars etc and push the forks up a little once the cap is undone to add the oil.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.