Castrol oil in a XR100 and XR200

7 replies to this topic
  • lovethosehondas

Posted June 06, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and would like to say thanks for having me! Just a quick question: has anyone had issues with using Castrol 10W40 oil instead of the Honda brand? Is there a difference besides price?

I have a 2000 XR100 and 2001 XR200.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by lovethosehondas, June 06, 2013 - 05:17 PM.

• Chuck.

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Two issues you need to consider for oil selection is the high operating temperature of an air cooled engine and compatibility with the wet clutch. Castrol 10W -40 is a car oil and I would not run it in any air cooled motor because it doesn't have the high temp stability of some other oils, and it is not JASO-MA certified for wet clutches.

I have not had good luck with Honda branded oils, and Honda doesn't publish oil specs like all of the major oil providers do so I class their oils as snake oil, and their performance in my XR200s support that.

The best cheap oil you can use in your air cooled engines is Shell Rotella T purchased at Walmart, next best is Rotella T6, a synthetic with better high temp stability but a higher price. Both are JASO MA rated for wet clutches. I've tried other race oils and synthetics in my PowRoll 218cc engine and I'm back to Rotella T6. The published specs support my decision.

• lovethosehondas

Posted June 07, 2013 - 02:07 AM

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is 4 stroke motorcycle oil, SAE SG which meets the owner's manual specs.

Two issues you need to consider for oil selection is the high operating temperature of an air cooled engine and compatibility with the wet clutch. Castrol 10W -40 is a car oil and I would not run it in any air cooled motor because it doesn't have the high temp stability of some other oils, and it is not JASO-MA certified for wet clutches.

I have not had good luck with Honda branded oils, and Honda doesn't publish oil specs like all of the major oil providers do so I class their oils as snake oil, and their performance in my XR200s support that.

The best cheap oil you can use in your air cooled engines is Shell Rotella T purchased at Walmart, next best is Rotella T6, a synthetic with better high temp stability but a higher price. Both are JASO MA rated for wet clutches. I've tried other race oils and synthetics in my PowRoll 218cc engine and I'm back to Rotella T6. The published specs support my decision.

• Chuck.

Posted June 07, 2013 - 11:43 AM

The manual is a guide that was written many years ago, you will be challenged to find a SG rated oils today. Besides lube oils have changed over the years. These air cooled engines can run very hot so running an oil with good high temp performance is IMO important. A lot of the newer car oils have anti friction additives that can cause clutch slippage.
Google the spec sheets for the GTX, T, and T6 oils. (note that the GTX values are not specs but typical)

• 0macman0

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Use a motorcycle specific synthetic if you want it to last. keep the air filter clean too :thumbsup:

• lovethosehondas

Posted June 07, 2013 - 06:04 PM

I guess synthetic 4 stroke motor oil is OK to use even though the bikes have had normal oil all their lives?

The 100 takes 10W30. Can I use 5W40 or 10W40 in the 100 as I don't see Rotella T6 listed as a 10W30? Would the 5W40 be alright in my 200 as well?

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Edited by lovethosehondas, June 07, 2013 - 06:25 PM.

• 0macman0

Posted June 07, 2013 - 06:42 PM

Better than okay, it's great! 10w-40 is specified for the 100. If you're feeling cheap use 5w-40 t6. Stay way from 15w-40 IMO. Run 15w-50 or 20w-50 in the 200.

Edited by 0macman0, June 07, 2013 - 06:47 PM.

• Chuck.

Posted June 07, 2013 - 11:44 PM

There is another spec for an oil's ability to lubricate at high temperatures, it is High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) and is tested at 150C. SAE specifies a minimum value for HTHS for each weight class of oil and what is interesting is the the big jump in minimum HTHS values between a 10W-40 and 15W-40 oil, 27%. Because of this I suggest a minimum of 15W-40 dino oil for an air cooled engine. Many thinner classes of synthetic oils have HTHS values above 3.5 so check the HTHS value in the oil's spec sheet and if greater than 3.5 then OK.

I suggest this link as the best article on lube oils for motorcycles: http://motorcycleinf....com/Oils1.html

Edited by chuck4788, June 10, 2013 - 03:00 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New and I bought a xr100r by 86indy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

what kind of dirt bike should i get by tim1511

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Xr200r Cam Chain way to loose by spooledupgti

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

XR100 Top End rebuild -need parts- by StevenOden

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Cylinder boring Question by Sebastien

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.