2009 suspension help

1 reply to this topic
  • Stealth13

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:13 AM

How do I make the suspension stiffer on my 450? I was going off some little 2 foot jumps and it bottomed out every time :(

It is bone stock right now, no mods

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted June 07, 2013 - 08:26 AM

WR's are notoriously soft

The fork springs are quoted by Yamaha as 0.46kg/mm but my 2008 actually measured 0.41kg/mm
Further more, the fork compression base valves are unique and manage to make the bike feel harsh over tree roots, yet allow the forks to blow through the stroke and bottom out on small jump landings (as you have discovered)
The forks need to be re-sprung with decent aftermarket springs to suit your weight
I am 210lbs and now use proper 0.46kg/mm springs
The damping is easily sorted with Race Tech Gold valves - no amount of fork oil weight, oil level or clicker adjustment will make the forks behove properly
Have a read of this http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=776751 and this http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=740400

the rear is also undersprung, but fortunately the shock is basically good and can cope with stiffer springs
You need to check your sag figures and re-spring if you can't get the 25mm/100mm sag figures
I am running a 6.0kg/mm spring
If you go stiffer on the spring you will need more rebound damping to control it, but adding more rebound also adds compression damping due to the design of the shock damping circuits, so just bear this in mind

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.