2003 WR450F no Spark.

28 replies to this topic
  • Do I Care?

Posted June 09, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Re-read my post again, this time thinking. Never do I say AC and DC can or do touch, just that they both are running through the bike powering different systems. The comprehension is a big part of it.

AC is generated from the stator but having gone through the regulator/rectifier before it reaches the CDI, so its actually DC. The lights run off of AC through additional coils in the stator.

Any more questions?

I have already explained that the stator generates AC (alternating current) and then the rectifier/regulator converts it to 13.5-V DC (direct current) so there is no need to repeat that. This is the charging circuit which joins to the ignition circuit and also battery after it goes through a 10A fuse.

I have a BIG question because you seem to be leaving out the most important part of it all, so- ....

How does it sense TDC to tell the ignition coil when to fire?.

I have one more question- How does the starting circuit work?

Edited by Barra8, June 10, 2013 - 10:02 AM.

• miweber929

Posted June 10, 2013 - 05:29 AM

I'm not commenting on anything else that you say so good luck helping the OP.

How does it sense TDC to tell the ignition coil when to fire?.

I have one more question- How does the starting circuit work?

Take your own advice. If you really want to know then read the manual, you should have one, right? Regardless of what I say you'll disagree so enjoy.

Friendly advice: Read through posts a bit more before commenting, both yours and the OP's. You'll see that you generally skim the first line then comment before you actually comprehend what was being asked about then have to backpedal. See the thread about the ROLLING CHASSIS WR450, not FRAME for a recent example, you initially said it was way to high a price and how you paid less for a frame (duh, let's hope so) then went back after others pointed out it was a ROLLING CHASSIS, clearly stated in the first post, and said no, good price. Reading is all about comprehending.

The (US) WR lights run off AC, BD has a mod to change them to DC and its why you need a new reg/rect and they don't come on with the ignition switch turning on, only when the bike runs. The rest of the bike is DC. And with that I'm done.

Edited by miweber929, June 10, 2013 - 05:30 AM.

• Do I Care?

Posted June 10, 2013 - 07:30 AM

Take your own advice. If you really want to know then read the manual, you should have one, right? Regardless of what I say you'll disagree so enjoy.

Friendly advice: Read through posts a bit more before commenting, both yours and the OP's. You'll see that you generally skim the first line then comment before you actually comprehend what was being asked about then have to backpedal. See the thread about the ROLLING CHASSIS WR450, not FRAME for a recent example, you initially said it was way to high a price and how you paid less for a frame (duh, let's hope so) then went back after others pointed out it was a ROLLING CHASSIS, clearly stated in the first post, and said no, good price. Reading is all about comprehending.

The (US) WR lights run off AC, BD has a mod to change them to DC and its why you need a new reg/rect and they don't come on with the ignition switch turning on, only when the bike runs. The rest of the bike is DC. And with that I'm done.

The only thing that you have explained right was that the AC magneto and rectifier/regulator but I had already mentioned that and anyone can understand that!

It seems that the headlight and taillight of US 2003 WR450 does run off AC power (I admit I was wrong about that) but you still have no understanding of how anything works.Also, how do you expect to help the OP if you have no understanding of how anything works (apart from lights and rectifier)?.

In reply about your friendly advice- Point taken and I will be looking more closely before I post.

While you were right about the headlight running off AC (thank you for clearing this up), you are still wrong about ''everything else running on DC''. You can't even tell me how the starting circuit works, let alone the trigger circuit that runs off AC. How do you expect me to believe you when you can't do this?

Why act like you can answer my questions when you have not even answered one?

In your head it all just magically works off DC (apart from the[color=#800080] [/color][color=#0000FF]HEADLIGHT[/color][color=#800080] [/color]and[color=#800080] [/color][color=#0000FF]TAILLIGHT[/color][color=#800080])[/color] but on paper, it just looks bad.

I have colour coded a wiring diagram to make the trigger and starting circuit easier for you. I have made the AC power green and DC red so you can see which is which. I will leave it to you to work the rest out.

Posted Image

Edited by Barra8, June 10, 2013 - 05:16 PM.

• RickyStator

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:40 AM

I have seen some of the TT stator have the pick up coils wires soldered to the wrong position on the pick up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RickyStator

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:43 AM

Also. I have new trailtech stator installed with a new rectifier. Never started since the build, so might it be that?

Did it run before this kit was installed, if so I would say the problem is with the stator kit.

• Do I Care?

Posted June 10, 2013 - 06:32 PM

I have seen some of the TT stator have the pick up coils wires soldered to the wrong position on the pick up.

Finally someone that knows what a pick-up is [color="#011a4d"]:prof:[/color]

Not trying to tread on your toes Ricky as I know you are GOD, but the OP may want to check that the engine stop switch is not grounded. I did think it may be the pick-up though and why I was getting at the ''trigger'' circuit. This is usually 3~6VAC (it may be a different spec on this bike). This tells the coil when to fire.

The OP needs to check that the AC magneto is grounded and that he has a circuit to the Cdi. Also if the rectifier/regulator is throwing out 13.5vdc to the charging circuit.
The other thing is his main ground at the rectifier/resistor.

I am sure you knew all this Ricky so I will let you help the OP.

• RickyStator

Posted June 11, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Finally someone that knows what a pick-up is [color=#011a4d] :prof:[/color]

Not trying to tread on your toes Ricky as I know you are GOD, but the OP may want to check that the engine stop switch is not grounded. I did think it may be the pick-up though and why I was getting at the ''trigger'' circuit. This is usually 3~6VAC (it may be a different spec on this bike). This tells the coil when to fire.

The OP needs to check that the AC magneto is grounded and that he has a circuit to the Cdi. Also if the rectifier/regulator is throwing out 13.5vdc to the charging circuit.
The other thing is his main ground at the rectifier/resistor.

I am sure you knew all this Ricky so I will let you help the OP.

If it has a trail tech stator the stator will no longer have a ground. Also the ignition will no longer see the signal from the white wire on the stator, this circuit will be replaced with 12 volts DC coming from the key switch in a harness provided by trail tech.

• Krimble

Posted June 11, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Did it run before this kit was installed, if so I would say the problem is with the stator kit.

Yes, it did run before. We only changed the stator/rectifier, re wired the harness, and changed the headlight fuse box, but I will give more details tomorro, since its quite late here at the moment.

Wow, did not notice this thread got so many reply's. Thank you so much! I will make my father read all of this tomorrow and we will check all this tomorrow night. Sorry about not having the most detailed reply right now, butI will get back jere ASAP, It's just my last week of school and I'm graduating, so its quite busy, but tomorrow night I will have more tha enough time.

• Krimble

Posted June 14, 2013 - 05:46 PM

Well this was quite the stupid mistake, sorry guys. We did not know that the TT stator had only one coil, so we looked around in the instructions more and we connected it to the battery instead. It works! :) Thank you so much for the information and time you have given guys. Just feel bad it was a small mistake. :(

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.