Which Dual Sport Kit?

13 replies to this topic
  • thumper_calgary

Posted June 05, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Help me decide. I'm thinking of picking up an 03 WR 450 with electric start. I found 3 options for DS kits but there is a wide variance in the pricing. I think I have sorted out why but I want to check with the experts here. The options are
1-Tusk Racking (~$175)
2-Baja Designs (~$450)
3-Rycomoto (~$400)

I see the baja designs kit includes a rectifier and requires a mod to the stator so I assume that means it is running off the stator directly as opposed to the battery. is that correct? since I have a battery I don't need this correct? is there a downside to running on the battery that I'm not aware of? What is the realitive quality of the kits? is the baja designs kit much beter? if so, Why?

Thanks All!

• n16ht5

Posted June 05, 2013 - 07:11 AM

I haven't had any experience with the rycomoto, but my baja designs stuff outlasts the tusk by a long shot..

I got the tusk kit for my wr450f and very little of it is left. It all basically quit working piece by piece, even the horn! I had to rewire the whole thing myself and replace all the hardware.

for that old of a bike I would suggest that you DIY or go with the baja kit if you are not able to. I spent a good day wiring it and putting everything together, cost about $120.

• beairmo

Posted June 05, 2013 - 07:34 AM

You might want to try this:

http://www.amazon.co...450f dual sport

I did the baja designs kit and it is as advertised. Make sure you don't mount the right rear turn signal in the exhaust path. My FMF burn the rubber to a crisp!

• Baja Designs

Posted June 05, 2013 - 07:51 AM

Help me decide. I'm thinking of picking up an 03 WR 450 with electric start. I found 3 options for DS kits but there is a wide variance in the pricing. I think I have sorted out why but I want to check with the experts here. The options are
1-Tusk Racking (~$175)
2-Baja Designs (~$450)
3-Rycomoto (~$400)

I see the baja designs kit includes a rectifier and requires a mod to the stator so I assume that means it is running off the stator directly as opposed to the battery. is that correct? since I have a battery I don't need this correct? is there a downside to running on the battery that I'm not aware of? What is the realitive quality of the kits? is the baja designs kit much beter? if so, Why?

Thanks All!

Our dual sport kits are ran through a battery in DC power which is a very stable way to run the kits.

Our kits are as pain free to install as possible. We also offer 10% off for forum members
Let me know if you have any questions
Thanks
Mike

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted June 06, 2013 - 03:40 PM

If it was me I wouldn't waste my money on inferior products like those mentioned above. I would contact www.trickdualsport.com and get Dale's kit. I 've had mine since 2003 on my WR 450 and have never had a hiccup. I have almost 11,000 miles on my bike, both dirt and pavement and had no problems, plus you just purchase the kit and install it, no monkey motion floating the ground. Just install it and go ride. The price is inline with Baja Design, but a more forgiving unit. Just my 2 cents worth.
Jim

• KennyMc

Posted June 06, 2013 - 04:55 PM

I have had the Baja Designs on my '07 WR450 since '08 without any issues. Easy to follow instructions :thumbsup:

• SurfaceToAir

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Not on your list, but i have a DDR harness in mine. It has a battery pack so you could install it in any bike. I removed it and wired the harness to the bikes battery, though.

I am not a huge fan of its connectors- molex non- weather sealed connectors. And because its a generic kit, a lot of the wires were too long, while the rear brake wire was too short ( until I bought a Tusk switch ).

The kit came with an on/ off switch that I didnt use, and instead wired the harness to a relay powered on when the bike's powered on.
It also came with one mirror that I intend to replace, LED blinkers ( they seem good ), a relay for them, and pressure switches for the brake lights. I didnt use their brake switches since they didnt fit the rear brake master ( the bolt was too big to clear the master ), and I am using a 2008 wr250 front master with the mechanical switch and Tusk for the rear. It also came with a light & turn signal switch.

The install instructions were fine. Bike wiring is pretty simple. And the colored schematic is online ( kit came with black and white schematic ).

I've a feeling all the kits will have similar issues to the ones I listed above. Though I hope others come with better connectors.

You will probably want to buy some Sumitomo connectors to avoid cutting your bikes harness up too much.

The switches and lights are (I think ) a majority of the cost for the kit you buy. So take a good look at what it comes with.

If I did it again, I would go wtih the Tusk kit at the most, but more likely just wire it all up myself since, among other things, I bought the switches I wanted separately from the kit.

cheers-
Dustin

Edited by SurfaceToAir, June 06, 2013 - 07:06 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miweber929

Posted June 07, 2013 - 06:38 AM

Tusk kit on my 04 going on 3 years now without issue.

You do get what you pay for, however I feel like any over $400 kit is still quite over priced for what you get and, well, its a dirt bike. Things will break, things will get bent and I just don't see any one lasting that much longer than another.

Mike

• Parx_400

Posted June 07, 2013 - 07:15 AM

I am building my one. Started with a Tusk harnes, controls, and rear tail .light. Ordered a rear brake sensor, and a horn. Then I used hyway dirt bike turn signals front an rear, a trailtec stator and speed. Using stock headlight but I kinda want the 2012 wr450 light.

• wayneoXCF

Posted June 07, 2013 - 12:00 PM

I have all the parts and am finally ready for the harness. I just dont have the exp, time and patience to do it right. Wish I could just buy a harness somewhere...

• Parx_400

Posted June 08, 2013 - 05:22 AM

You Can buy just the harness on amazon. Tusk

• KennyMc

Posted June 08, 2013 - 12:04 PM

I have all the parts and am finally ready for the harness. I just dont have the exp, time and patience to do it right. Wish I could just buy a harness somewhere...

Exactly why I went with the Baja Designs. Again, everyone has a varying degree of time and patience and money. You just need to choose where you fit into these categories :thumbsup:

• thumper_calgary

Posted June 09, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Yes I had briefly considered facing one up myself but designing electrical circuits is not my strong point. I'm still waiting to hear back from my insurance company about coverage on the bike. Fingers crossed. Thanks everyone for all your input!!!!

Has anyone ever tried to adapt stock switches from another bike eg. DRZ?

• MaxPower

Posted June 11, 2013 - 12:43 AM

I disliked both the Electrosport Dakar Dual Sport Kit and the customer service of the company that made it so much I took it off my bike and now run a Baja Designs Kit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.