Soften Clutch Pull

11 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted June 03, 2013 - 05:54 AM

I believe I posted something about softening the clutch pull on the WR450 a while back.
The consensus came back:

a) Get used to it
B) Get a Rekluse clutch

I found another way: I ordered qty (3) clutch springs from the same year 250 model. The springs are shorter than the 450 model, but the same diameter and everything else. The clutch has 6 springs, so I replaced 3 of them in a triad fashion (keeping 3 of the original ones), clutch pull is MUCH softer. I took it up a bunch of steep hills in low gear and I weigh 225.....no slipping.

Butter soft clutch for $15.00 plus shipping from Bike Bandit !!!

• Do I Care?

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:02 AM

There is also the option of an easy pull clutch system. CLICK HERE FOR MOOSE RACING SYSTEM.

Enjoy!

• woods-rider

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:21 AM

There is also the option of an easy pull clutch system. CLICK HERE FOR MOOSE RACING SYSTEM.

Enjoy!

But with this system you have to pull the clutch in farther to get the same disengagement.

• bobpara

Posted June 05, 2013 - 04:41 AM

Works pissa!
Don't forget to get the clutch cover gasket too if you decide to try it!
Not sure if you even need to drain the oil to do it.
On the kickstand it leans the other way leaving the oil on the low-side.

• Road Rage

Posted June 06, 2013 - 01:42 PM

Sounds like a cool idea, I see that you don't have any clutch slip issues with this mod, keep us poster through the season if the clutch starts slipping on you.

• W85W58

Posted June 08, 2013 - 12:20 PM

Could you just remove 3 of the stock springs and keep 3 in there?

Jon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Do I Care?

Posted June 08, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Could you just remove 3 of the stock springs and keep 3 in there?

Jon

Bad idea!

• W85W58

Posted June 08, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Bad idea!

Seems to me I remember an old trials guy doing that to his dirtbikes... Never tried it myself though.

Jon

• Do I Care?

Posted June 08, 2013 - 01:28 PM

Seems to me I remember an old trials guy doing that to his dirtbikes... Never tried it myself though.

Jon

How about you try it and let us know if it makes the clutch slip under strain (hill-climb).

• GCannon

Posted June 11, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Try this!
http://www.thumperta...lutch lever mod

• Corkster

Posted June 11, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Try this!
http://www.thumperta...lutch lever mod

I have small hands and have never been able to two-finger clutch. Did this mod last week. Used a shorty clutch lever and moved the perch further in-board. Rode on the weekend and for the first time ever I have an easy two-finger clutch bike. It makes riding so much easier being able to hang on at the same time as popping the clutch. I am actually using the clutch the way they talk about it in the books and training courses, instead of just shaking my head and wondering how people do that.

• GCannon

Posted June 12, 2013 - 01:53 PM

Good for you!
It worked greatfor me, I now cover the clutch with 1 finger and can feather the clutch with one finger as loong as i am not to tired. Log technical rides requires more fingers as i get tired.

My WR clutch is lighter than my sons YZ 125 and about the same as the YZ85

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.