2010 yz450f locked up

15 replies to this topic
  • kiessel24

Posted June 01, 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have a 2010 yz450f and I was riding a wheelie and it fell over on the left hand side. It was in second gear and when I lifted it back up it stalled out. I then went to start it and the kick starter was as hard as a rock. I can put it in neutral and push it so I don't believe it's the transmission. I also took the spark plug out and it's still hard as a rock. Does anybody have any suggestions on what it could be?

• DC_Excitement

Posted June 01, 2013 - 07:54 PM

jumped timing and bent valves? how many hours?

you cant diagnose anything over the internet. grab a wrench and let us know whats wrong with it!

• MKM

Posted June 02, 2013 - 04:13 AM

Hey mate I would b pulling ur rocker cover off and check ur cam chain as my 2012 skipped 2 teeth while trying to start it. Then locked had couldn't move the kick start

• zombiekillr.45

Posted June 02, 2013 - 04:50 PM

some thing is stopping your crank, id agree and say the cam chain popped off or bunged up in the guides. don't try to kick her harder id pull her apart :(

• kiessel24

Posted June 02, 2013 - 05:03 PM

I can push the bike when it's in gear.. I have a rekluse clutch so would that allow me to push the bike even if the cam chain has fallen off or bound up?

• zombiekillr.45

Posted June 02, 2013 - 06:16 PM

yes the rekluse. will allow you to push the bike, as you cant ever bump start the bike with a recluse I also have one, so this dosent rule out transmisson being the issue, cam chain most likely second to that possible trans issue holding up the crank

• kiessel24

Posted June 02, 2013 - 06:54 PM

im new to working on dirt bikes, I looked at the cams and the chain and it looked as if the chain was loose, it wasn't actually sitting on the cams.

• zombiekillr.45

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:26 PM

yup you did her good, lol get a manual and do a cam postion setup and hope for the best or go digging look to make sure the chain didn't push through the cases at the underside . while your at it replace your cam chain tensioner, probably the culprit being just as guilty as you laying her down

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kiessel24

Posted June 03, 2013 - 03:52 AM

Okay, I'm almost positive it didn't go through the bottom of the case. If so wouldn't oil be leaking? I don't have any oil leaking.

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2013 - 06:29 AM

yes the rekluse. will allow you to push the bike, ...., so this dosent rule out transmisson being the issue,

Yes it does. The trans is connected to the rear wheel. If the rear wheel turns, so does the transmission.

• zombiekillr.45

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:37 AM

Yes it does. The trans is connected to the rear wheel. If the rear wheel turns, so does the transmission.

ahhhhhhh good point the trans is still moving sorry, not tranny issue

• kiessel24

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:09 AM

Okay, so most likely cam chain issue?

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:28 AM

There's no support for that statement. It's one of the possibilities, though. Also, a seized crank, or something jammed up in the primary drive or starter gear train.

• kiessel24

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Found out what was wrong with the bike. Ended up being a valve was hitting the piston. Now it needs a new piston, cylinder and valves.

• DC_Excitement

Posted June 14, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Hey how many hours on the motor? I wonder if the cam chain was stretched and the timing skipped, maybe it beeing on its side helped that happen

Hey grey when do you think a timing chain should be swapped out?

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Yes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.