whats the best chain and sprockets?

13 replies to this topic
  • zaxcar1

Posted June 01, 2013 - 12:44 PM

so i need new chain and sprockets for the 426. and I wanted to know that the best bag for the buck, and brand. and were to get them. also size for the sprockets. i do trail rides in michigan.

• grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:37 AM

SIze of the sprockets is your choice. I use a good quality front sprocket such as Pro Taper, etc. Not too fussy about them. For the rear, I like the hard anodized TAG Metals sprockets. Light, and hold up well for a reasonable price..

The chain is the key to whether the sprockets last far more so than the quality or materials used on the sprockets. If the chain resists wear, it stays at the standard pitch length (another way of saying it doesn't stretch), and if it stays at the correct pitch, it doesn't wear the sprockets out quickly. I use Regina ORN6 chains exclusively, and they last about two years for me. You can get chains that are cheaper, and that are almost twice as expensive, but IMO, you can't get a better one, especially not at the price.

• zombiekillr.45

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:28 AM

you want to buy one set of sprockets out last you bikes life ?? buy sidewinder titanium 2 series !!!! look at sidewinders website they are devoted to sprocket technology, they created the little grooves in between sprocket teeth helping reduce wear , using exotic materials, research into how to stay strong and light ect ect trail blazers in the sprocket world, I have a set coming for my yz450f efi. in ten hours I have started to fold the teeth over on the stock sprockets lol. $350 Canadian dollers shipped to my door in Canada for 2 fronts and 1 rear I know its expensive but I wont need to buy another set for years !!!!!!!!!! possibly the whole life of the bike. cheers check em out support the trail blazers I say

• marv02

Posted June 05, 2013 - 06:05 PM

For me I normally run use steel front and rear sprockets I ride for the fun of it don't race the bike so saving a pound here and pound there is not a big deal.

I found a running steel sprockets for me last a lot longer than the high cost Aluminum ones.

As for chains go normally use DID X ring chains they are pre stretched last long time never had one fail on me.

I have a Renthal O ring chain on my 426 I got a good deal on it that's why I purchased it. I not to crazy about it mainly it stretched like crazy for the first 5 or 6 rides I was always adjusting the chain slack after it stopped stretching it seems like an okay chain but I wont buy another.

DID like I said are pre stretched to size the reason I bringing this up from out of the box the pin spacing is where it needs to be the side plates should be on the money the Renthal like I said stretched a lot so the side plates are now longer and the pins are spread farther apart so now it wearing the sprockets to the chain instead where the chain was when it was new.

If you put a new sprocket on a worn stretched chain the nice new sprockets is going to wear like the chain if you put a good new chain of worn sprockets it going to make the new chain bad.

I have different sprockets for where I going to ride if I need more low end out a larger rear of smaller front sprocket or more top end smaller in back or larger in front but like I said if you have a bad chain it ruin you're good sprockets or it could be the other way good chain bad sprockets.

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2013 - 06:47 AM

DID like I said are pre stretched to size

This is not true. But only because in actual fact, there is no real plastic stretching of any of the metal parts of any high quality chain. Neither the inner nor outer plates will ever truly grow in length.

What happens instead is that wear occurs at each of the pins and bushings in the complete chain, and it's the cumulative total of this wear that makes the chain long. There are 114 pins in a standard YZF chain. If each was to wear only .002", the result is a chain that is .228" longer under tension than when it was made. The Yamaha manual specifies a method of measuring the chain, and sets the service limit at 2% longer than new. When measuring a 10 link section, a new chain will be 5.85" measured between rollers with a caliper. 2% takes it to 6".

You do correctly state why worn chains are bad, however. Sprockets cut for 5/8" pitch chains have their teeth set at .625" apart. If you put a new chain over them and put a load on it, the load is distributed over most, if not all, of the teeth that the chain contacts. As soon as the chain bushings wear slightly, that changes. With wear at the pins, only the roller in contact with the last top forward tooth on the rear cog bears the load. The chain pulls that link forward, but when that link pulls on the next one, the distance to the next roller is now longer, and the chain can't be drawn up against the second tooth with any pressure to share the load, and the wear at the sprocket accelerates.

I change chains at the point when they are 1.5% over length. With the Reginas, that takes 1.5 - 2 years in my case.

• KTM_Pat

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Grayracer I know ur the guru here... and maybe key word was "chain of quality" but all I have to do is put on a new set, this case, steel sprocket set with new DID O-ring chain. Take my KX500 Pull out to the road with max traction go slow and pull some real hard torquey wheelies and done the chain now has a different harmonic in the section where it was torqued the the hardest. Jack it up on the stand run it in gear and you can see uneven interaction with rear sprocket. Not dramatic but there is a difference.

So either the links stretched? The pins bent? Or the pins wore. In 5 seconds of gasing on a virgin chain.... Imo the links stretched. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the pins bent. What ur thoughts?

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Brand new chains out of the box, especially sealed chains, are gooped up with a very thick pre-lube that will give hold each pin in the center of its bore and take up what clearance there is. It's quite normal even for the very toughest chains to loosen after the first 15 minutes or less of run time, but it's not due to any of the plates stretching. You will get the same effect from running a new chain on a 125. It may take longer for the little bike to accomplish this initial "set" of the chain, but it will. You can do almost exactly the same thing by warming the chain in an oven, hanging it on the sprockets, and standing on the chain as it runs between the front and rear a couple of times. (did this on a bet once, put $10 in my pocket and a six of Beck's in the fridge ;) )

Think about the forces involved. The tension on the plates is applied by the pins. If the metal were pliable enough to be truly stretched in any way, it would also be deformed at the holes where the pins fit in the plates, and they would become loose therein.

Virtually all the so called stretching that occurs is the product of simple wear at the pins once that initial setting has happened. My Reginas do the same thing, but after they get that first readjustment, they'll go for months on end without being adjusted again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KTM_Pat

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:58 AM

As always, great answers.

• QuadStrokeInvasion

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:24 AM

I like Dirt Tricks products. Look them up. Tool steel chainring and very light. Looks badass! Works great.

• Jim813

Posted June 26, 2013 - 07:59 AM

It's hard to beat the Dirt Tricks Ironman sprockets. Initial price is a bit higher, but I've got over 150 hours on my set-up and it's not showing any reason to be replaced anytime soon. I paired this with a regina ORN6 chain and adjusted my chain twice, once one break-in, and once when my chain slider wore down. I've had no issues and similar wear with a regina ORN6 or their Z-ring chain. Plus, Nate at Dirt Tricks is one of the nicest guys in the business. He supports both national and state racing, and is always one to step up.

Rocky mountain steel sprockets are descent for the money if your looking to save a few.

• 123devinzz1

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:45 PM

primary drive from rockymountain atv. $115 for aluminum sprocket (steel front) and gold x-ring chain. On my 450 its been 2 years and ive only adjusted chain once. sprockets still look good to. I use maxima chain wax before almost every ride! I had did x-ring before and its lasting just as long. (JT steel sprockets still look almost unused and are hanging in the shed)

• NitrousR1

Posted July 05, 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'm a big fan of the did vx2 dollar for dollar a really good value at $75. I use them on all my race bikes and dirt bikes. R1's r6's pro stock drag bike, 1420cc race bike. They flat out last for the little $. I've tried all the big dollar chains by all the big companies and for the dollar I haven't found one last longer besides going to a $100-120 chain

• NitrousR1

Posted July 05, 2013 - 05:33 PM

I only use steel sprockets, the aluminum ones get eaten alive on the higher hp bikes

• cdc351jeferson

Posted July 05, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Had a set of super sprox and a moose o ring chain on last bike 40hours showed no wear

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.