2011 450F chassis setup guideline?

3 replies to this topic
  • mxstate

Posted June 01, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Could someone tell me if my settings are way off or help me figuring out why it's not working well?
2011 450F, PC link, rear spring 5.9
C9/R7
HSC 1 3/4. sag 105 mm

front .495
C12/R11, up 5 mm above clamp

Valvlng was tweaked for previous owner and just a bit stiffer than stock.
I know the suspension guy who did it and he confirmed pretty close to stock

All bolts torqued properly, bearings good and greased
Michelin S12 rear, Dunlop MX 31 front. 13 psi both ends
DRD engine relocation kit

I'm a slow vet C, 210 w/o gear (+15 lb gear , measured), Mx practice only

I'm riding a sand track (florida!) and just can't get comfortable.
The front is very nervous and bike overall feel is twitchy.
I played a lot with the clickers today but just can't get it right

In some portions of the track the bike feels good and some others I am just freaking out because of this excessive reaction of the front and that tendency in some case for the rear to kick sideways....

Any tips, pointers would be higly appreciated
Thanks

I

• Old Custer

Posted June 03, 2013 - 04:35 AM

I remember reading the link bar and relocation kit don't mix well. It's either or so I would ditch the link.

If it's really soft and sandy, you need to tighten up damping several clicks on both ends. Talking like 5-6 clicks out. And raise the forks flush with clamps. Is your steering bearing tight enough?

About sand riding in general: If you go slow or try to be cautious in sand, you'll find any setup squirrelly. Give it some serious gas to keep front wheel light!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zeuszuki

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:34 PM

I remember reading the link bar and relocation kit don't mix well. It's either or so I would ditch the link.

If it's really soft and sandy, you need to tighten up damping several clicks on both ends. Talking like 5-6 clicks out. And raise the forks flush with clamps. Is your steering bearing tight enough?

About sand riding in general: If you go slow or try to be cautious in sand, you'll find any setup squirrelly. Give it some serious gas to keep front wheel light!

Yep, ditch the link and go back to stock, raise forks flush ( with relo' kit it will be too nervous ). Run back wheel as far back in the swing arm as possible ( helps with hook up/ traction ). Play with maps to get something that gives traction ( see map data base ). Try running bars in fore and aft positions to get the "balance" your after.
There's probably some other stuff but that will get you well on your way to pure bliss ;-)

• tjg53

Posted June 14, 2013 - 07:43 AM

I`m in mich. , and we have as much sand as you. What i have found that works is , forks down in the clamps , a little stiffer rebound buy one or two clicks , soften comp. some. Your shock turn you hi-speed 1/14 to 1/2 softer so it won`t kick. And rear sag 103 to 105.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.