finding top dead center for starting

13 replies to this topic
  • boxsterboy

Posted April 26, 2001 - 10:31 AM

ok, I'll admit it, last night I looked like a fool trying to start this monster. I have never had to kick more than 2 time to start my 97 WR 250 2 stroke.

After several attemps with tennis shoes on, I put on my right boot and got it started. Ran for a while then stalled it. I let it cool down for 5 min and tried again. Finding the top dead center so I could get a full kick was not easy.

My question is once I find top dead center and get a good full kick in and it doesnt start, how many kick should I give it with the compression lever pull to get back to the top dead center again. Electric start would be nice.

Or is there an easoer way to find TDC.

thanks
Rich
01 WR426

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 26, 2001 - 10:42 AM

there are a couple ways to do it.

Try this for finding top dead center

1. Not using the Decomp lever "pump" the kick starter a couple times until the lever is full up and you cant move it any more. Don't do this hard, just nice and easy.

2. Once you have it to the top, pull in the decomp lever and push the kick start lever all the way down.

3. release the decomp lever and she is ready to kick over.

Good luck.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 26, 2001 - 10:42 AM

there are a couple ways to do it.

Try this for finding top dead center

1. Not using the Decomp lever "pump" the kick starter a couple times until the lever is full up and you cant move it any more. Don't do this hard, just nice and easy.

2. Once you have it to the top, pull in the decomp lever and push the kick start lever all the way down.

3. release the decomp lever and she is ready to kick over.

Good luck.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 26, 2001 - 10:43 AM

I posted twice just in case it doesnt start the first time.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 26, 2001 - 10:45 AM

This will be hard to explain: The routine is as follows for me, differs according to individual taste. Only use hard soled shoes.........
1. When bike is cold, give throttle 2 blips of gas, pull choke out. easily,Kick down on starter until no further movement. Do not try to move further or foot injury possible.
2. take foot off of starter so that it lifts to top of range.
3. pull decompression lever in,push starter down 1 to 2 inches, let go of decompression release.lift foot off so starter goes to top of range. Now, kick starter, bike should start, push choke in.
4. when bike is hot, pull out the hot start.
same routine then push it back in.

• boxsterboy

Posted April 26, 2001 - 10:45 AM

Mike,

I read it twice, just it case I didn't understand it.. lol

Thanks
Rich

Originally posted by mike68:
I posted twice just in case it doesnt start the first time.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 26, 2001 - 11:25 AM

Damn, you must be on of the smarter ones :), good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • paul913

Posted April 26, 2001 - 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Ga426owner:
The routine differs according to individual taste....

On my machine, even the slightest throttle before starting will foul the plug. You'll learn your own routine. Remember to always let it warm up a while. Best of luck.

Jake

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 27, 2001 - 12:52 AM

Sounds like rather complicated methods - maybe my bike just starts easy? I push the starter lever until it stops, pull the decompression lever until the start lever moves about an inch more, let go of the decompression lever and let the starter lever return to top of stroke, and kick.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted April 27, 2001 - 12:52 PM

Scouringpad, me to! I'm so tired of people whining about how difficult these bikes are to start. They've gotta be ex 2-smoke riders! Kickkickkickrickick, ring, ring, ringdadadainnggg! :)

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 27, 2001 - 01:24 PM

same routine as scouringpad & Bryan - starts 1st kick 95% of the time, 2nd kick the other 5%.

Brian

• Derek_Burns

Posted April 28, 2001 - 04:47 PM

Same here..... I just kick over.... it hits the compression stroke and stops..... pull the decompressor, move starter a tad..... boot it and away it goes.

as long as you keep calm..... its like clockwork

• Flamed1

Posted April 28, 2001 - 06:09 PM

I think Derek, you have hit the nail on the head. The most important thing is to stay calm! :)

------------------
Life is nothing but a game.... he who has the most fun wins!

• boxsterboy

Posted April 30, 2001 - 04:50 AM

scouringpad method works like a charm. For all you other guy. I would give it a try.

I rode for the first time on Saturday, had to go easy for the breakin. Sunday I tore it up. Bike feels comfortable in turns a bit more difficult keeping the wheel up doing wheelies. I suppose that will come with time.

Rich

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.