09 yz450 rear shock.... what other years YZ will work?

2 replies to this topic
  • FRANTIK1

Posted May 31, 2013 - 05:35 PM

I need to rebuild the rear shock on my 09 450. With a job in road construction, and without any parts ordered yet ..... and a 13 year old son I ride with, I don't want the down time. I want to pick up a used shock on ebay cheap to use until I can get mine going again. Will any 426/450 shock work up until 09?
Also, what fluid do I use in the rear shock? I can't seem to find out much about what to use.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxPower

Posted June 01, 2013 - 02:25 AM

I think a 426 shock is 1/8 inch shorter than the shock from the 450s. Earlier 450s had the same length as yours, but the size of the shafts were smaller. I may have a extra 04 shock somewhere

• NitrousR1

Posted June 01, 2013 - 07:34 AM

I'd stick with any 06-09 Yz shock. Pre 06 they used a 16mm shock shaft, in 06 they changed to a 18mm shaft and started using a titanium spring. All 06-09 shocks are the same length and will work however each model has a different rate shock spring as well as different valving. So basically any 06-up 125 250 250f or 450 will work. If you want to keep the valving close to yours now then get the 450 shock.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.