10+ YZ vs 12+ WR

9 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted May 31, 2013 - 08:04 AM

Has anyone ridden both bikes? I had the chance to ride a 12 WR over memorial weekend and was pleasantly suprised by how well I liked the bike. This particular one had the GYT-R exhaust on it and was a quite a bit of fun to ride. But I don't really like the extra weight (though you don't feel it when riding the bike) or feel the need for e-start. Plus, I found a holdover 2011 for under $5k. I've never ridden the YZ though, and don't know anyone who owns one that I could try out. I don't race, mostly trail riding in WA and ID with an occasional run in the desert or flailing about on an MX track.

• zeuszuki

Posted June 02, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Has anyone ridden both bikes? I had the chance to ride a 12 WR over memorial weekend and was pleasantly suprised by how well I liked the bike. This particular one had the GYT-R exhaust on it and was a quite a bit of fun to ride. But I don't really like the extra weight (though you don't feel it when riding the bike) or feel the need for e-start. Plus, I found a holdover 2011 for under $5k. I've never ridden the YZ though, and don't know anyone who owns one that I could try out. I don't race, mostly trail riding in WA and ID with an occasional run in the desert or flailing about on an MX track.

I have ridden both extensively, for what your planning to do , get the WR.

• cowboyona426

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:01 AM

I have ridden both extensively, for what your planning to do , get the WR.

Care to elaborate on that statement some- what makes you say WR over YZ?

• woods-rider

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Wide ratio trans
E-start
18" rear wheel
Headlight
Better trail suspension stock
Not as high strung
Kickstand

• cowboyona426

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Wide ratio trans
E-start
18" rear wheel
Headlight
Better trail suspension stock
Not as high strung
Kickstand

Of everything you listed the ONLY reason I can see to choose a WR is the wide ratio trans. I don't need e-start, a headlight, or a kickstand and I've never had issues with a 19" wheel. Suspension would probably end up getting revalved anyway on either bike so that's a wash.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zeuszuki

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Read the last statement on your original post, has the WR written all over it.
+ it would seem that maybe you have already made up your mind ^^^
Woods-rider nailed it, once again read the last paragraph of your original post.

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:57 AM

I'd pick the WR. If I could afford it, I'd buy one now to replace my '06 as a desert racer.

The '06-'09 YZ450 is, as everyone already knows, as purpose built MX bike, not primarily intended to be raced off-road, or used as a trail bike, and needs some "adjustments" to fit the task when used that way. The '10-'13 YZ450 is even more focused on MX as a specialty, and are considerably less trail friendly than their predecessors. Most of the reasons are the same, but just exaggerated a bit by comparison.

• SparksXR426

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'd have to say the same about the current YZ. Having had one for awhile now and riding mostly off road. Ive never ridden a WR so cant comment on that but just think there are better choices for what we want in a bush bike than a 10 and up YZ. I've been chasing a couple guys on 300XCs lately and starting to think going that way might be a good idea. Scary as that sounds. I kinda miss the smell of premix anyway.

• woods-rider

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:27 AM

Of everything you listed the ONLY reason I can see to choose a WR is the wide ratio trans. I don't need e-start, a headlight, or a kickstand and I've never had issues with a 19" wheel. Suspension would probably end up getting revalved anyway on either bike so that's a wash.

You don't NEED any of it, you can trail ride a 1981 XR200 if you want to, but all of those things I listed are benefits for trail riding the WR over the YZ.

If you want the YZ then go for it, I'm sure it will do what you want just fine, I just think the WR would do it better.

• sergey

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Have both bikes. (11Yz450 and 12 wr450). Yz is too twitchy for trail riding unless you are going fast, and you will have to revalve suspesion as well. The e-start on wr is a good thing to have. For wr450 comp ecu + pipe is a must. I'd say pick wr. BTW check my trail ready yz - alot of mods done, but still most of my friends prefer wr over my yz.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.