Water Pump question :)

8 replies to this topic
  • Jack Groves

Posted May 30, 2013 - 07:40 AM

I have bought a WR 450f 2008 model, great conditions been running great since i have it.. but i have a few questions that i need help with.

this might sound like a really dumb question but here goes.....

Under the seat i have a 'coolant' pot, which has decided to start emptying it-self on my last ride out, is this normal or i might of not noticed this before.

Whats the main purpose of this pot as i keep checking my Radiator and its full all the time and i believe theres a pipe going from the rad at the top into this pot under the seat... so I'm just wondering is it an overflow pot that doesn't need to be topped up or do i have a slight problem i need to fix.

But...
The main reason i ask is, i also have a slight leak from a little hole on the water pump that i believe (i might of researched wrong) a weep hole? (ill also attach a picture)

So i dont know if I'm loosing water, burning it off somewhere, have a seal gone in the pump etc... Just after some advice please as I'm new to the WR scene and i dont want to cause any problems in the engine :)

Thanks everyone!! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 979611_10151365060346157_211336907_n.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:39 AM

The hole is an escape port designed to allow either oil or coolant leaking from the water pump shaft to run to the outside rather than crossing over into the opposing storage volume, which would contaminate the oil with coolant, or vice-versa. A leak there means a failed water pump seal, and possibly a worn shaft. Somewhat rarely, a failing balancer shaft bearing can cause this. Not common, but it happens. Here are two links to help with that:

Water pump replacement: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=940018

Repeat seal failures: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=785425

The coolant recovery tank works the same as on a car. Heated coolant expands, forcing its way out of the radiator through the overflow tube, as usual, but instead of draining onto the ground, the tube is routed to the recovery bottle and the overflow held there. As the temperature drops again, the coolant in the radiator contracts, creating a vacuum, which then draws coolant back from the recovery tank to the radiator through a check valve in the cap, keeping the radiator filled in spite of the boil out.

• Jack Groves

Posted May 30, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Thank you very much! great help..

Glad i read your other links too! thank you again,

Jack

• Jack Groves

Posted June 12, 2013 - 01:57 PM

Changed my water pump seal! no more problems :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jack Groves

Posted June 26, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hello, i fixed my water pump problem, have completed about 15 hours worth of riding, went to start up the bike yesterday and its happened again...theres fluid coming out of the weep hole,

how common is this for the seal to go or would this mean theres another problem with the pump? :)

Manythanks
Jack

The hole is an escape port designed to allow either oil or coolant leaking from the water pump shaft to run to the outside rather than crossing over into the opposing storage volume, which would contaminate the oil with coolant, or vice-versa. A leak there means a failed water pump seal, and possibly a worn shaft. Somewhat rarely, a failing balancer shaft bearing can cause this. Not common, but it happens. Here are two links to help with that:

Water pump replacement: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=940018

Repeat seal failures: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=785425

The coolant recovery tank works the same as on a car. Heated coolant expands, forcing its way out of the radiator through the overflow tube, as usual, but instead of draining onto the ground, the tube is routed to the recovery bottle and the overflow held there. As the temperature drops again, the coolant in the radiator contracts, creating a vacuum, which then draws coolant back from the recovery tank to the radiator through a check valve in the cap, keeping the radiator filled in spite of the boil out.

• GuyGraham

Posted June 26, 2013 - 09:46 AM

New seals should have fixed the problem for longer than 15hrs - something went wrong

Did you put the seals in the right way?

What condition was the shaft in - any grooves?

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:41 AM

If you reviewed the posts I linked to, you know that the seals are often installed backward (should NOT have lasted 15 hours if that was the case), and that the condition of the impeller shaft bears considerably on the matter. You also know that the condition of the balancer shaft bearing has an influence on things as well. I trust you checked all these things?

• Strattos

Posted October 20, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Grayracer, thanks for the instructions above. I'm about to have a crack myself.

Just one thing, I've never taken a crankcase cover off before, will I need new gaskets or is the one that is there re-usable?

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2013 - 03:36 PM

The gasket is reusable if you're careful.  I don't ordinarily replace my own unless they've been apart 2-3 times prior.  But be discriminating.  Having to replace the gasket after the job's up and running is a much bigger pain in the ass than spending $15 is.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.