holy super green fork snot!

7 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted November 29, 2001 - 05:50 PM

Well, tonight I did the first fork oil change on my '01. The oil that came out was dark greenish, definitely not clean. I had no idea that oil in the forks would get this dirty! I replaced it with the yamaha "suspension oil '01'" which was almost clear in comparison.

Question for you all as well. The manual recommends replacing many of the fork parts with new parts when it is reassembled (after full disassembly). How many of you really replace these parts when you tear down and reassemble the forks?

• MX_Tuner

Posted November 29, 2001 - 05:53 PM

As a general rule, I only replace the parts that are damaged/worn.

So..... did you pull the guts out or merely dump the tube up side down?

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 29, 2001 - 05:58 PM

Due to a time limit I only pumped the oil out and refilled it. Took a lot of pumping to get it all out! Next time I change it I will shoot for the full tear down. :)

• DaveJ

Posted November 29, 2001 - 09:24 PM

There's an inner and outer bushing that rides between the two tubes. They are coated with a soft black teflon like material.

If they have any wear or marks, they should be replaced.

But you'll need to pull the seals and such to separate the two tubes before you can get to these.

Good thing you got rid of that old fish pond water.

And good choice in fluid might I add.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted November 30, 2001 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for the tips! The yamaha oil is a lot thicker than I expected, especially the stuff coming out of the forks. The forks feel great to me stock so I didn't want to change to a different oil, but at $25 a can (takes almost 1 1/2 cans to do a change) I might have to find it for less or switch to a different brand. :) Do you know of any oils of equavalent spec to the yamaha oil but for less money?

• DaveJ

Posted November 30, 2001 - 08:34 AM

It's always been my opinion that keeping a bike in perfect competitive shape is rather costly.

And I thought I was paying about $15 to $18 for the KYB juice. I'll have to double check.

Can't think of anything less than this that I was happy with.

Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 30, 2001 - 12:02 PM

Your price isn't "as" bad as what I got gouged for. What gets me is that the cans came with a higher price on them which was crossed out with the lower price written in (the local shop had to order it for me). I wonder who has ever paid the higher price? The cans I got didn't say KYB they actually had "Yamaha" on them, which is probably what cost the extra dollars. Where do you get yours?

• DaveJ

Posted November 30, 2001 - 12:11 PM

I run the KYB stuff. It's a white bottle, quart size.

The first and second batch (about 12 quarts) was distributed via Enzo Racing, puchased from my local moto store, with a White Brothers label over the top.

The following batches I had my local store order directly from White Brothers. No Enzo label.

I would assume the chain is - manufacture, to KYB, to White Brothers, to me.

Perhaps we should order the 55 gallon drum and distribute.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.