Fan-when should it come on?

10 replies to this topic
  • 62hsr

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Howdy Folks,

Noob with question before I start wrenching around. Bike has been sitting for about a month :( When I started it yesterday just to get it running, I noticed the fan wasn't turning after about 5 minutes of idling. Checking the service manual, it should come on when the temp gets to 205F. I didn't want to start riding after I read in this forum that the temp warning light may not come on depending on the malfunction. QUESTION: If the ambient temperature is around 78F, approximately how long should the bike have to sit at idle before the temp reaches 205F and the fan comes on? This may sound overly cautious, but with little mechanical experience and less $$, I'm trying not to create or exaserbate any problems! Thanks for any and all advice!!

• pyankura

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Buy this for some comfort:

http://www.thumperta...verride-switch/

• 150ron

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

5 minutes of idle from when you just started up the bike and it should be about 140'ish, i have a temp gauge on mine.

Now if you've been riding the bike for a while then stop and let it idle for 5 minuts, itll get around 180, this all depends on how hot it is, 78 is not hot imo.

• Craigo 485sm

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

It will turn on eventually ...Yes you are being over cautious, just install the override switch from Epic and you can turn it on whenever you wish...

• 62hsr

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the quick replies and the temp estimations! I thought it would get hotter faster. Now I can ride tomorrow without the worries. That switch looks simple and effective. Thanks again!

• Craigo 485sm

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the quick replies and the temp estimations! I thought it would get hotter faster. Now I can ride tomorrow without the worries. That switch looks simple and effective. Thanks again!

Yep good plan.....BTW..that switch is plug 'n' play...really easy install..... :thumbsup:

• cadman_ks

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

This isn't scientific anyway, but I've noticed that my fan typically comes on about the time that I can "feel" heat coming off of the radiator, especially when I'm going slow.

Rode some local trails here this weekend, and our temp was low 80's. I was kind of surprised that the fan wasn't on, so I felt the radiators, and they weren't really that hot. When another 10 minutes or so, and I was probably lugging a little more, creating more heat, and then I heard the fan come on. I could also feel the heat coming off of the radiators at the point.

Like I said, not scientific. But, if you stop and think about it, 205 is pretty darn hot. That's only 7deg from boiling water, so that's HOT...

• maxpat82

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

my fan never come on at idle.

just after a hard riding offroad...never see my fan come on while riding on the road.

• Rightcoastbias

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

I've never noticed my fan come on, but it hasn't been very hot since I got the bike running in February.

Then again, the bike is pretty loud, so I may just not be paying enough attention.

• ITS CHOOKEN

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

It will turn on eventually ...Yes you are being over cautious, just install the override switch from Epic and you can turn it on whenever you wish...

+1

• Bull Island Flats

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

My kicks on at 213 F and then cools down to 193 F and stays there

Related Content

Reviews

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013 by hondajon80

Suzuki DR-Z400SM 2013
  • 1 review
  • Last review by hondajon80
  • On 15 April 2014
Forums
Photo

Modded DRZ400 vs Modded WR250 by WVRidin

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

What did you BUY for your DRZ today by Craigo 485sm

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  1,437 replies
Forums
Photo

>2003 model still needs MCCT? by SumoRus

• Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 DRZ400SM, ride it home from the dealership? by GLKSM62

• Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.