WR400 trans/crank/cyl interchangability?

No replies to this topic

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:45 AM

So I've got a WR400 I'm working on that had the transmission grenade. The parts flying around inside busted a corner off the cylinder, dinged up the piston and rod and the crank. So it really needs a complete new engine however I'm trying to find the cheapest way to make it right again. I've been looking on ebay and found people selling transmissions for $160ish and they list they are good for 400/426/450. Are the transmission shafts/gears/shift drum and forks all interchangeable between these bikes?

Also I figured while I have to replace them anyway I may as well get a the cylinder/piston/crank out of a 426 or 450 as well. From the reading I've been doing on here so far it looks like the 426 cylinder and crank are direct bolt ins. However does anyone know if the 450 is as well? I've found a complete bottom end cases and everything on ebay off a 450 for cheap, though it says it needs a new crank. Would the 426 cylinder bolt up to it?

Thanks for any help or suggestions on what will work on this.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.