hard to start 426 cold

4 replies to this topic
  • zaxcar1

Posted May 27, 2013 - 07:04 AM

So lets start this off with what i have done to the bike. i had the upper end done with new vavles and the hot cams exhaust cam done at the same time. So with that being said, i went for a ride with my son. I had it running the night before then changed the oil. I unloaded the bike kiked it a few times and it started then stalled. Kiked a few more times and nothing. I gave it a few more twistes of the throtle and kiked a few more time. I got a few pops from the exhaust then nothig. well after a half hour i got it running and it runs great. then the rest of the day she started right away. So i am thinking that mabie carb bowl did not have enouf fuel in it at that point. just not sure, but like i said just wanted some diffrent input. thanks

• dirtbikeking843

Posted May 27, 2013 - 07:27 AM

My cousin had an early model 400 or 426 (I can't remember which) and if he even touched the throttle with the bike not ruining it would foul the plug and he would have to change it before his bike would start

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tardup

Posted July 02, 2013 - 05:00 PM

I don't know how long you had your 426 but anyone with this bike like myself will tell you popping means flooding and never touch throttle when starting that bike in fact I don't turn my petcock on until its running even during hot start when its cold I lope thrue without compression Twice then turn choke on and kick it starts first try almost everytime.
Hope this helps goodluck

wow for some reason I skipped over the hot cams you added don't no anything about them that might change startup procedure anyway I hope you solve your prob.

Edited by Tardup, July 02, 2013 - 05:10 PM.

• bobdirt

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:06 PM

a friend of mine had one did same thing! bike was an animal when it ran. had more balls than most these 450's do today.

• grayracer513

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:58 PM

When you started it after changing the oil, you probably set it up to foul the plug the next day by not letting the spark plug get hot enough to dry itself off completely.

One of the shortcomings of the 426 and 400 is that the ignition at cranking speeds is not as strong as it could be. That makes them fussy about plugs when cold starting.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.