2012 WR - Noise from engine

20 replies to this topic
  • xXNewfie709Xx

Posted May 26, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hey guys,

I just went out on a ride today and I've noticed a tinny sound starting to come from the engine. I notice it big time while in 2nd and 3rd gear. I have about 2000 KMs on my bike. It almost sounds like someone is tapping a tin can and the faster the RPM goes up, the speed of the sound Im hearing increases aswell. Any ideas on what this? Valves maybe? Also, there has been no top end work or engine work on the bike at all. Thanks in advance!

Edited by xXNewfie709Xx, May 26, 2013 - 06:56 PM.

• GuyGraham

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:38 AM

Cam chain? - sticky tensioner maybe
valves get quieter as they close up, so its not them
The WR engines are bullet proof, so I doubt its anything to worry about
Have you fitted anything recently, like an aluminium bash guard, coz they vibrate

Edited by GuyGraham, May 27, 2013 - 08:39 AM.

• xXNewfie709Xx

Posted May 27, 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hey Guy,

Thanks for the reply. I havent bolted anything new onto my bike recently. I will tho go over everything again tomrorow and check for tighness on all the bolts. But the sound I hear is coming from the motor for sure. I just have to pin point it. When getting into my cam chain, can I just adjust that without much trouble?

• warrens73

Posted May 27, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Might be a good idea to check your valve clearances too, just to be on the safe side. Swallowing a valve would really suck.

• flyandride

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Check the flywheel also. The inner and outer parts of mine became loose and it made an ugly tinny noise. Aside from a rougher idle it ran OK. I thought it was the cam chain until I took it apart.

• GuyGraham

Posted May 28, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Cam chain tensioner is stepless, in that it is spring loaded and takes up as much slack as the psring pressure will allow
Its not a rachet type with clicks between each step

Good idea to check all nuts and bolts - It'll be something silly like the exhaust heatshield

• xXNewfie709Xx

Posted May 28, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the info guys, Ill report back when I pin point this racket!

• warrens73

Posted May 28, 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'm pretty sure myself and Robbie (aka:Guard1) rode with you to the talc mines last year . If you need a hand just give me a shout. Robbie has my #.

• xXNewfie709Xx

Posted May 31, 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm pretty sure myself and Robbie (aka:Guard1) rode with you to the talc mines last year . If you need a hand just give me a shout. Robbie has my #.

Yes man we did! We should get out again now soon! Id like to do the Nature trail up by his cabin.

• warrens73

Posted June 01, 2013 - 01:16 AM

Sound's like a plan. I'm picking up my permit for the Avalon Wilderness Area this week. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Andrew Puetz

Posted August 02, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Did you find the noise?  I have a 2012 WR and it makes a similar noise upon hard acceleration in 2nd/3rd gear...  I only have a few hundred miles on it.

• xXNewfie709Xx

Posted August 25, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Update:

Needed a valve job done. Bike has 6k kms on it and they needed to be shimmed aswell!

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Update:

Needed a valve job done. Bike has 6k kms on it and they needed to be shimmed aswell!

The valves needed to be reseated at 6k ?   Why ?

When did you first check the clearances ?   The only reason I can think for it needing a valve job is if they aren't closing properly and the seats get burnt.

My 2012 WR makes a funny sound at idle as well.   I can't say it sounds bad, but it does sound unusual, at least to my ear.    Mine has about 150 miles on it.

• Menzies450

Posted August 25, 2013 - 09:54 PM

I got 7k I had to shimm my valves and I also have a 2012 dub r

• 123devinzz1

Posted August 26, 2013 - 02:33 AM

10500km valves never out of spec. Engine has always made a racket but runs like the top. Idk why you would need a valve job that early

• warrens73

Posted August 26, 2013 - 03:09 AM

I've got over 13k on my 2008 Wr450f and the valves are still well within spec. I've heard of others that had to do the shims but a complete value job at 6k?!? That's early for a high strung Yz engine, a Wr should last much longer. Unless it was running very VERY lean.

Edited by warrens73, August 26, 2013 - 03:10 AM.

• xXNewfie709Xx

Posted August 28, 2013 - 03:20 PM

Valves needed to be shimmed. Got alot of riding in over the last year and a half. I noticed power/speed loss and after the job was done and now its all  back to normal again.

• Menzies450

Posted August 28, 2013 - 04:36 PM

I have over 7k I ride the bike like I stole it To the bar full throttle. Im putting my 3rd set of desert it tires on the back this summer I swear to god theres not a knob left on them smooth as a inflated garbage bag

My bike never gets a break I hate to be the guy who buys this thing after me

I should of bough a YZ buy the way I ride this bike

• GuyGraham

Posted August 29, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Valves needed to be shimmed. Got alot of riding in over the last year and a half. I noticed power/speed loss and after the job was done and now its all  back to normal again.

Its all in your mind

Valve clearances close up as they wear, which actually increase the lift of the valve and hence gives you more power

When the correct clearance is re-established during a valve shim job, the valve lift decreases, so if anything your bike will make less power.

• xXNewfie709Xx

Posted September 02, 2013 - 02:33 PM

Well I dont know what happened but I lost top speed from all of my gears and my bike felt boggy. After I got my valve adjustment my bike felt better then ever.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.