2003 Yz450f?

26 replies to this topic
  • BoffoRider

Posted November 29, 2001 - 06:40 AM

I currently ride a YZ250F but am looking at getting a bigger bike. I am considering the YZ426F but don't want to get a 2002 if the 2003 model will be increased to a 450 and will make some significant changes to the weight. If there are no plans to change the 426 then I'll probable get a new 2002 but if there are big changes ahead I'll wait until the 2003's.

Any psychic insight into the future would be greatly appreciated.

• thumpy

Posted November 29, 2001 - 07:02 AM

Good luck,

The so-called insiders here don't have a clue. They tried to predict the 02 model and failed miserably. I would imagine there are only about a dozen people that can answer your question and they're all in the top management of Yamaha and they're not going to tell anyone what their plans are.

Some other food for thought: There's talk the AMA will put a weight restriction (as well as a 450cc displacement restriction) on the thumpers to handicap them in an effort to make the playing field more even. If this is the case, you won't see a lighter 426, but you may see a YZ450. Your guess is as good as mine. :)

• SandLunatic

Posted November 29, 2001 - 08:51 AM

Fact is no one knows what the 2003 YZ will be. Do a search on the 2002 model and the ones claiming to know an insider who knows and insider who's brother in law owns Yamaha and you will see what I mean. Only the top people know what that will be, and I don't mean to step on peoples toes but I don't think that covers anyone here. The best you can do is spend $4.99 cents per minute and call Madam Cleo and see what she says. But if you want a good laugh do the search on the predictions for the 2002 model (by those who knew what 2002 would bring us). In my opinion only time will tell just like with this years model.

• PK

Posted November 29, 2001 - 01:50 PM

I will agree that nobody except the upper echelon at Yamaha R&D know whats in store. That said, I can't see Yamaha sitting on their hands while the CRF and KTM520 are both lighter and have larger displacements. They will have to do something in 2003, not that the current YZF line isn't competitve, I still prefer the YZF over both previously mentioned bikes, but consumers for the most part like to buy the latest and greatest. I guess time will tell...

Pat

• MikeOK

Posted November 29, 2001 - 02:19 PM

I'm sticking with my 426 at least one more season. If Yamaha doesn't come out with a lighter bike by '03 it will be hard to not take a closer look at the CRF. I don't so much want Yamaha to make a bigger engine, just make the bike lighter. I looked at the CRF today, and some of their lower weight comes from a cheezy tiny little rear brake, and they don't have a skid plate on the bottom. Otherwise I couldn't tell how they save 15 lb's over the YZF...

• YZThump

Posted November 29, 2001 - 02:38 PM

I love my 2001 YZ 2001 426,BUT... I can feel the weight at the end of a 2-hour Hare Scramble. The CRF looks great ,I was always a Honda guy until the 426.Its 2003 for a new ride and hopefully Yamaha will come through,cuzz I got no problem ridin BLUE!!!!!!

• bobwombat

Posted November 29, 2001 - 02:59 PM

i had to sell my 2000 WR400 a couple weeks ago cuz i couldn't handle the weight anymore. am awaiting a (lighter) 2002 WR250 but can say yamaha better go on a diet real soon for 2003; if you've ridden a 450CRF, you know what i mean; it's thin & feels light as a feather compared to our beloved yammies..... bobwombat

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 29, 2001 - 03:11 PM

I don't know a whole lot about the CRF motor, but I have to wonder if having one one cam doesn't save at least a couple of pounds. Not only are you minus a cam, but you're minus all that extra material in the head that is required to make it work plus one cam sprocket and a portion of the cam chain. I wonder if Yamaha will try to get 5 valves to work from one cam next year?

I never really noticed the weight of the 426 until the other day when I helped a fallen 125 pilot pick up his bike. I was like WOW, did someone forget to put a motor in this thing or what? I wonder what it would take to get a 400+ cc bike as light as a 125. :)

• forstrokes

Posted November 29, 2001 - 04:33 PM

money and lots of it

• factorymark343

Posted November 29, 2001 - 05:28 PM

Yeah I agree , the 426 needs to be lighter the same as my budys 450f. but the engine is plenty big enough this thing has more power than you can use. I hope for 2003 they make the 250 & the 426 have the same subframe as the 125 & 250. hondas nice cause you can use the same side plates nothing special like our bikes. Ive been looking into fmf's new titanium pipe, its going to be alot lighter than the stock so there's a way to shave some pounds. for now its spend alot of money to shave some weight

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpy

Posted November 29, 2001 - 06:43 PM

Factorymark,

forget the weight savings from the titanium FMF pipe, it's not going to make the bike feel any lighter anyway nor is it going to make it run any better. Put your money in a pipe that'll make the bike perform. Read the post about the "Thunder Alley & BK mod combo". We're not saying this pipe is great for nothin, it WORKS! If you've read the pipe shootout article (I think it was in Dirt Bike) you already know none of the aftermarket pipes are any better than the stocker (not worth spending $400.00 anyway). The guys at Thunder Alley are on to something and the proof is in the puddin. In addition, they're the nicest people you could ever hope to deal with.

• yzernie

Posted November 29, 2001 - 07:22 PM

A friend of mine does testing for the Factory Yamaha R & D department. He has told me there WILL be changes to the YZ426F line for 03. He is sworn to stay silent and will not even give me a hint. He does say that the changes will be good.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The anticipation is killing me!!!!

Ernie

• criss

Posted November 30, 2001 - 12:16 AM

How about 450cc,electric start + 10kgs lighter.
(from someone who does R+D for Yamaha)

• yzernie

Posted November 30, 2001 - 12:46 AM

Originally posted by criss:
How about 450cc,electric start + 10kgs lighter.

That sounds great but that is alot of changes for one year. I'll believe that when I see it.

Ernie

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 30, 2001 - 03:14 AM

I doubt the YZF will be electric start. That's like bolting on a 10# gym weight. Maybe the WR will have the option or something, but I'll put $10 that the MX version won't be electric start.

• thumpy

Posted November 30, 2001 - 07:48 AM

criss,

I must admit, I'm very scepticle.

1. It seems to be a lot to ask economically, from a business perspective, to add a battery & starter motor, then lighten the overall package by 10kg (BTW, what's that in lbs?), and increase the displacement. That's a lot to change/retool the production line for.

2. Where do you go from there with the 04 & 05 models? More weight loss? Different frame? Bold New Graphics? It's very expensive to continually retool every year, hence the limited changes from the 98 version to current model.

Then again, it really hasn't undergone a major change in a while so it is due....hmmmmm....it would make sense to make these changes and keep that incarnation and just make minor tweeks over the next few years. I don't feel the need to replace my 01 with an 02 simply because there isn't a significant difference between them and I doubt that if you rode either one you could tell the difference between them (assuming they were identically set up).

It is exciting to hear you're testing these set ups though. If the 03 model arrives with all the gadgetry you claim, I'll expect a giant "I told you so!" :)

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: thumpy ]

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: thumpy ]

• SandLunatic

Posted November 30, 2001 - 02:20 PM

I heard from a good source that the 2003 is going to be all titanium and carbon fiber, electric and kick start, be a 450 and weigh only 94 lbs, plus retail for $2,200.

• MikeOK

Posted November 30, 2001 - 03:01 PM

I gotta get me one of those hehehe...

• holeshot

Posted November 30, 2001 - 03:28 PM

Originally posted by criss:
How about 450cc,electric start + 10kgs (22 lbs) lighter.
(from someone who does R+D for Yamaha)

ROTFLMAO :D :D :D

I guess I'll get about 1500$ for my 426 dinosaur then. I'm not holding my breath for this prediction. :)

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: holeshot ]

• JBM

Posted December 03, 2001 - 10:26 PM

All signs point to a big update for the 426. They just finised all the 2 strokes this year, the Honda is out, and it hasn't been done since the 98 model, other than the engine and other smaller stuff. We'll all just have to wait and see but if I were a betting man I'd bet on some big changes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.