is this engine reasonably fixable? kickstart issues

4 replies to this topic
  • ironmonkey

Posted May 25, 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hi, I bought a yz450f engine off ebay with the knowledge that the kickstart housing was completely blown off, however the blown off part is not structural. Seller claimed kickstart works but it is jammed. Seems like one of the two kickstart bolts came loose, the kickstarter then severed it off, with half the bolt dangling inside and causing mayhem, resulting in the blown case and the jammed kickstart.

Here are the images below:

http://img164.imagev...1_122_182lo.jpg
http://img263.imagev...1_122_586lo.jpg

Do I really need to replace the severed bolt? I have no idea how a kickstart works. I havent assembled the engine back to try the kickstarter again, and wont be able to until next weekend. I'm planning to use this engine for a go kart, so there wont be frequent kickstarting.

Edited by ironmonkey, May 26, 2013 - 06:17 PM.

• Geoffit

Posted May 26, 2013 - 05:38 AM

For the ks to work all of that stuff needs to be there. The broken bolt can be removed but it looks like the shaft hole in the case is mangled as well. A fair amount of labor is needed . You will need to split the case for sure

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ironmonkey

Posted May 26, 2013 - 05:59 AM

What does the bolt do? The kickstart should still crank the engine over, which for my purposes is all I need.

The shaft hole is okay, I think the mangledness you are talking about is just the washer sitting on top of it (sorry for the poor quality pic). Unless you are referring to something else?

Edited by ironmonkey, May 26, 2013 - 05:59 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2013 - 02:57 PM

The bolt anchors the plate that cams the ratchet out of engagement so it doesn't run against the gear while the engine runs. Looks like a lot of welding and machine work to me.

• ironmonkey

Posted May 26, 2013 - 06:16 PM

where is the required machine work?

What i know at the moment, is that if I want to plow ahead I will need to source the bolt and plate and chemiweld the blown casing back (as its not structural).

Edited by ironmonkey, May 26, 2013 - 06:19 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.