Dr. D Pipe for my 01 426

7 replies to this topic
  • cahillmd

Posted November 28, 2001 - 07:42 PM

I put the pipe on a couple of weeks ago and I have one race on it so far. All I can say is AWESOME!!! Everything that they have written or said about the pipe is true!!

• 426_Pilot

Posted November 29, 2001 - 05:16 AM

How much does it cost, and is it as simple as bolting it on? In other words, jetting?

• SoundChaser

Posted November 29, 2001 - 06:59 AM

I also have the DRD pipe and agree w/ cahillmd, this pipe totally rips!

Pilot-
It was a little under $400 bucks, but worth it. The construction is top notch and the performance gains make it worth it in the end. A buddy of mine is getting the Thunder Alley pipe soon and Im anxious to see how that compares after all I have read here on TT. Yes, it is simple as bolting it on. It took me about 10min to install and no jetting changes, though I had already lowered the needle by one setting. :)

• MotoHero

Posted November 29, 2001 - 10:16 PM

That sounds unusual to lower the needle (lean) on this motor. With a free flow exhaust sure seems more in need of enrichening both low and high? Just Wondering
MotoHero

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SoundChaser

Posted November 29, 2001 - 03:06 PM

Hero-
I agree with your assessment, but I don't experience any bogging off the bottom that seems to be plaguing some of the others that I read about.

• thumpy

Posted November 29, 2001 - 05:45 PM

I'm looking forward to that comparison (Dr.D & Thunder Alley). They're aren't any visual ques to go by with the Dr.D pipe so I don't know what they're doing to improve flow. The Thunder Alley pipe/philosophy makes a lot of sense and performance. Let us know how that turns out. It's very rare that we get to compare stuff side by side.

• yzfguy

Posted November 29, 2001 - 06:18 PM

the dubach pipe has 4 "step ups" which improves flow, Doug explained it to me..he said he was able to increase flow a little.. but the step ups is the key... he also told me the jetting trick is to use the next size leaner needle.. i put the needle in along with the pipe.... big big big improvement! cleaned up the whole powerband......

• thumpy

Posted November 29, 2001 - 07:20 PM

Ahhhhhhh Haaaaaaaaa! This principle is very similar to the Thunder Alley philosophy. They use a megaphone to create a vacuum which actually sucks the exhuast out of the head improving flow dramatically. I'd be very curious to see how they perform side by side.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.