96 cr250 woods bike for a short guy

16 replies to this topic
  • kurtus

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:47 PM

So I bought this bike about 2 months ago for a good deal from choppertown through the forums here, great seller and great guy btw. I originally planned to just slap it together as a project bike but the more I put it together the more I began to fall in love with it. It is a 96 cr250 that was in need of a lot of tlc, needed a top end rebuild, new main bearings, plastics.....well basically everything lol.

Here is a picture the day I brought it home
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

pretty much everything was painted by the previous owner before choppertown had it, plastics, linkage, swingarm, frame, motor, calipers/rotors, rads you name it it was painted. This is after probably 15 hours of scrubbing 3 layers of paint off the motor.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• kurtus

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:53 PM

I'll skip the in between and show you guys what it looks like today.......pictures say a thousand words but damn thats much better lol
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm too tired to type anymore but I will come back to this tomorrow to finish explaining what I've had to do with this so far and the list of goodies its got.

• wykyd450r

Posted May 23, 2013 - 02:40 AM

Dang!! You done an awesome job on it!! :)

• Thewayshegoes

Posted May 23, 2013 - 03:59 AM

looks awesome. I hope mine will come out half as good!

• kurtus

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:38 AM

Thanks guys, it has been a blast to build.

This is my first bigger bike coming off a kx100, I am about 5'5" at 135lbs+. Been riding for years but because of my size I stuck to smaller mx bikes for the bush. The first thing I had to do was lower this thing, it was way to tall in stock form for me to comfortably ride in the trails. Brought it out to a local suspension tech called Shock therapy suspensions to re work what I have. PO changed the front forks out from the 96 pogo sticks to a set of 99 cr125 forks, seem to be alot stiffer......maybe too stiff for me. All I had done to the front was a re seal/rebuild and less 5wt fluid, I can tell it may need a respring but time will tell. For the rear we internally limited it about 25mm and went with a lighter spring matched to my weight. To balance the bike out I opted for some bar risers and will probably fun the front forks at 10mm above the tree.

So in the mean time while I had the shock off to the tech I started on the clean up/ tear down of the bike. The motor in this needed main bearings, had a bit of up and down play at the flywheel, I was looking for a project to split the cases on with all the tusk tools I bought and looks like this was the chance. Split the cases then started scrubbing the motor down with some paint remover, 3 layers of paint is insane to try and strip..

Thats all done so I proceed to install the new hot rods main bearings into this, figured I'd go this route cause I hear they are as good as oem by a few people and it had a hot rods conn rod installed on the oem crank halfs already so why not right. Started looking over the trans bearings and well as you can probably guess they are all done. Replaced all the bearings in it and sealed the case halfs back up. Had choppertown mic the cylinder which was in great shape and ended up going to a pro x 66.36mm piston kit.

Onto the clutch now, the original basket was toast so I bought one off an ebay user, shows up and the cushions are shot. Order a second basket and it shows up in half assed condition so hell with it. I bought a new wiseco basket, pro x inner hub, needle bearing and collar along with a new tmv clutch kit (cheap tusk like cork kit for now).

Go to install the clutch inner cover and decide to inspect the waterpump well I'm at it, after seeing the worn transmission bearings I was not suprised to find that the water pump shaft, bushings and bearing where all shot. Damn, there goes another 140 bucks, had to replace the sperator plate too as it was pretty abused.

Next into the frame, I did not do much here, it was painted black so I just hit it with flat black tremclad for now, I was given a second fram for this and if I strip it I can have it powder coated to 150 bucks back into the original white so that is the plan after I find a spare sub frame. I want to be able to have it sitting there ready for a striaght swap after this season.

Next came the plastics, all plastics replaced and I installed a 2000 cr250 front fender so I could keep my front number plate, I really like the look of this bike even though it is older, the larger side panels are really growing on me. I installed the graphics kit for the 96 on the tank, air box and shroud. The fender/swingarm trim are for a 97-99 and the number plates where custom made by a ebay user in australia, nice work!

Replace all the linkage, swingarm and shock bearings and now I'm onto the wheel bearings for my 21"/18" dna wheel combo I have. I installed a new michelin m12 xc rear tire, beastly looking tire for sure. Installed new rotors front and rear then re worked the calipers, they where missing all the retainer/shim pads in both. Bought a set of sumobrakes to try, 20 for a set front and rear was too cheap not to try.

I ordered a 38mm pwk airstriker last night to get rid of the pj28 carb along with a 45 and 175 jet set. I like my bikes to idle in the bush so I needed this to take care of that. I can get the pj to idle but at the expense of good jetting, it is a battle finding that perfect setting.....well not anymore. It is running a set of carbon fiber reeds, not sure on the brand, want to try a rad valve in the future.

Has a FMF Gnarly with an answer cf2 carbon fiber silence, looks and sounds great. I noticed that my spring is rubbibg along the bottom of the pipe though ast the cylinder mount, is that normal?

Had a ton of other small things it needed, nuts and bolts, shifter, idler gear, shift shaft, handle bars, clutch cable, throttle tube, renthal bars, pro taper pillow tops, new chain slider, new msr chain guide block, 13/50 jt steel sprockets, did gold series chain, case saver, maxima pre oiled air filter, br8iex plug........there is more I'm just forgetting now.

I got the bike it had 70 hours on the top end and about 100 on the crank, the top end actually looked like new still when I pulled it apart, po had it re nicked by mongoose in Vancouver and had them do the crank as well.

Edit, just bought a 12oz flywheel weight, I can't get any hook up being so light on this beast, hope that helps and should make it lug a bit better for the trail

Edited by kurtus, May 23, 2013 - 08:22 AM.

• kurtus

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Total bill so far is upwards of about 2500 including the bike.

• wykyd450r

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:36 AM

I noticed you used tusk tools. I just got my tusk tools, but havent got to do my build yet. How do you feel about the tools. Did they work great? Any problems? I am just waiting to get my crank bearings put in, then I am gonna put it together.

• kurtus

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:09 AM

I noticed you used tusk tools. I just got my tusk tools, but havent got to do my build yet. How do you feel about the tools. Did they work great? Any problems? I am just waiting to get my crank bearings put in, then I am gonna put it together.

I'd say it's damn near impossible to beat the quality for the value, not one bad thing to say. I have the blind bearing puller, crank case separator, crank bearing puller and crank installer tools from them. Used all but the crank bearing tool as the bearings stayed in the case half's when they where removed so I have not tried that yet. You will be very pleased with your purchase I can assure you..... Be careful though, these tools may cause you to go buy every bike you see that needs cases split just to use them lol, I keep seeing deals thinking it's not going to cost much now that I have the tools to fix it.... I love wrenching though haha

Edit, I forgot to mention a couple of other needed tools I have that might be worth mentioning. I bought the tusk clutch basket holder which also has the 2 pins on the back side for holding the flywheel. The pins are too large in diameter to fit into the holes but it did work great for holding the front sprocket to tighten the bolt there. For the flywheel I bought the tusk flywheel remover tool and that is flawless too, I used a special stealthy e3 jammer tool that threads into the spark plug hole and extends into the piston chamber to jam at tdc, makes it so you can loosen or tighten the flywheel nut without any other tools...very handy. Lastly I bought a motion pro 12/14mm torque wrench adapter wrench to torque the captured base cylinder nuts on the cr250, wanted to make sure they where torqued to spec, I'm really anal about that kind of stuff.

Edited by kurtus, May 23, 2013 - 09:42 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wykyd450r

Posted May 23, 2013 - 11:11 AM

I'd say it's damn near impossible to beat the quality for the value, not one bad thing to say. I have the blind bearing puller, crank case separator, crank bearing puller and crank installer tools from them. Used all but the crank bearing tool as the bearings stayed in the case half's when they where removed so I have not tried that yet. You will be very pleased with your purchase I can assure you..... Be careful though, these tools may cause you to go buy every bike you see that needs cases split just to use them lol, I keep seeing deals thinking it's not going to cost much now that I have the tools to fix it.... I love wrenching though haha

Edit, I forgot to mention a couple of other needed tools I have that might be worth mentioning. I bought the tusk clutch basket holder which also has the 2 pins on the back side for holding the flywheel. The pins are too large in diameter to fit into the holes but it did work great for holding the front sprocket to tighten the bolt there. For the flywheel I bought the tusk flywheel remover tool and that is flawless too, I used a special stealthy e3 jammer tool that threads into the spark plug hole and extends into the piston chamber to jam at tdc, makes it so you can loosen or tighten the flywheel nut without any other tools...very handy. Lastly I bought a motion pro 12/14mm torque wrench adapter wrench to torque the captured base cylinder nuts on the cr250, wanted to make sure they where torqued to spec, I'm really anal about that kind of stuff.

My next investment toolwise is the blind bearing puller for sure. I got lucky and went to autozone where they have the loaner program. Instead of paying the deposit, I just took the cases with me and done them there. The BBP is awesome though. I gotta have one. I bought the splitter after I had split the cases, but I'll use it for setting the seals. I simply hit the crank to split the cases, worked ok. It mushroomed the end of the crank at the flywheel, but I am replacing crank anyways. I also got the 12/14 motion pro wrench. I think it'll be real nice for that one nut lol. Glad ya mentioned it to me about the clutch holder tool not fitting the flywheel. Rather know now than thinking its good to go and finding out the pins are too fat when I am ready to use it. i might see about being possible to add 2 narrower pins close to the fatter ones. It'd be just as easy to thin the originals down, but I'd like to keep them fat for the sprocket. I'll have to go out and investigate since you mentioned it. Thanks for all the help.

• kurtus

Posted May 23, 2013 - 03:58 PM

My next investment toolwise is the blind bearing puller for sure. I got lucky and went to autozone where they have the loaner program. Instead of paying the deposit, I just took the cases with me and done them there. The BBP is awesome though. I gotta have one. I bought the splitter after I had split the cases, but I'll use it for setting the seals. I simply hit the crank to split the cases, worked ok. It mushroomed the end of the crank at the flywheel, but I am replacing crank anyways. I also got the 12/14 motion pro wrench. I think it'll be real nice for that one nut lol. Glad ya mentioned it to me about the clutch holder tool not fitting the flywheel. Rather know now than thinking its good to go and finding out the pins are too fat when I am ready to use it. i might see about being possible to add 2 narrower pins close to the fatter ones. It'd be just as easy to thin the originals down, but I'd like to keep them fat for the sprocket. I'll have to go out and investigate since you mentioned it. Thanks for all the help.

You could just jam the primary gear and drive gear with a piece of aluminum like a washer and tighten the flywheel nut too as long as the clutch side is off. I don't think adding a second set of posts to the holder will work because the other posts would be in the way of the flywheel making it impossible to get a good bite into the holes but not too sure there. I see no reason why filing them down wouldnt work just fine for both applications, can't see smaller post hurting the sprocket. I'll let you know what size the opening is because I have a flywheel here off the bike at the moment if you need to know.

• kurtus

Posted May 25, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Can anyone list a CHEAP waterproof gps tracking device for trail riding? I am looking for something that I can mount to my bars, waterproof for rainy/muddy days, battery operated for the cr, has to track the route dont care about poi. I have a ton of trials that go for miles with roads that turn off all over the place so I just need something that will show my traveled route and remember it so I can get home safely. Found a garmin etrex 20 for 117 shipped online, is this about as cheap as they come, I need to get a ram mount too from what I understand if I buy this. I would like to find the most basic unit possible as right now I am using my andriod phone that cost me 500 and it is not something I want to break so I keep it in my bag and occasionally look at it using "my tracks" app. Works great just a big pain in the ass.

• saddle_tramp

Posted May 25, 2013 - 08:07 PM

I use the e trex legend. The ram mount is nice, I use the handle bar mount garmin sells.

• shrubitup

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:32 AM

bike looks great! :thumbsup:

yep, 2500$ is the going rate to rebuild the neglected CR.

• kurtus

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:44 AM

bike looks great! :thumbsup:

yep, 2500$ is the going rate to rebuild the neglected CR.

You gotta love it when you buy a bike as a project to flip cheap and you end up completely blowing the budget cause you just can't let that one thing slide.....then theres that other issue that just rears its ugly head....and the vicious cycle countinues lol. I am keeping it now cause I doubt I'll ever make a dollar on it, seams I just cant quit finding issues with it. Thanks for the kind words man. :ride:

• kurtus

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Anybody see any reason why a garmin quest 450t gps loaded with a canada topo map, ram mount and motorcycle ram adapter with stainless u bolt for 290 shipped is a bad idea?? I just want to be able to see this easy while riding so I don't forget my tracks, etrex 20 screen is too small and the montana is out of my price range.

• shrubitup

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:34 AM

You gotta love it when you buy a bike as a project to flip cheap and you end up completely blowing the budget cause you just can't let that one thing slide.....then theres that other issue that just rears its ugly head....and the vicious cycle countinues lol. I am keeping it now cause I doubt I'll ever make a dollar on it, seams I just cant quit finding issues with it. Thanks for the kind words man. :ride:

my 01 and 02 have turned out this way. nice to have sorted bikes in the garage. most other 2500$ bikes will have issues unlike our re-born CRs, lol.

• kurtus

Posted May 27, 2013 - 11:10 AM

my 01 and 02 have turned out this way. nice to have sorted bikes in the garage. most other 2500$ bikes will have issues unlike our re-born CRs, lol.

lol, I have an 03 kx100 sitting in the garage that is now running a 3000$ bill too, I think i may need to be buried with these 2 leaches lol. I do like not worrying though when I'm out in the middle of nowhere that my bikes in top shape. It was worth it to me.... The wife feels differently though. Maybe I'll let her buy some new shoes........ :blink:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CR 250 Talon hubs/ wheels? by sandy450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

Won't Start! Need Help! by Ging3rDedMan

• Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

1999 CR125R Choke installation? by josephduckworth

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.