Hard starting after truck transport?

7 replies to this topic
  • PJ426F

Posted December 10, 2003 - 07:22 AM

I have an 01 WR426. It always starts on the first kick after sitting in my garage for almost any length of time, or once warmed up out on the trail. However, after a trip in my truck bed, it takes quite a bit more effort to start it but not enough that it has ever bothered me.

The last time I rode, I hauled the bike on a new receiver hitch mounted bike carrier, and I couldn't start this bike to save my life! I finally did get it going after probably 50-75 kicks, but I was worn out before I even hit the trail.

Is there something about hauling a bike that makes it hard to start? Especially the rocking motion of a hitch carrier? Is the bike getting flooded somehow, or starved for fuel? And before this comes up, yes I do know the proper starting drill and I do have the gas turned off during transport and on during starting!

• FedEx250F

Posted December 10, 2003 - 08:41 AM

Make sure the petcock is closed so no fuel goes into the carb. The movement plays havoc on the float bowl.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 10, 2003 - 09:55 AM

try laying the bike over till gas drools out the carb vents. This can help sometimes. That is what I do in hte winter to get her going.

• dave450wr

Posted December 12, 2003 - 01:39 AM

Check your tank vent tube isn't blocked.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • David_W

Posted December 12, 2003 - 03:51 AM

The vibration/rocking could be forcing the fuel that is already in the pipe to the carb into the carb and flooding it? Just a guess, and God only knows how you'd stop it short of pulling the pipe off and letting it drain before transporting???

• CronicArt

Posted December 12, 2003 - 06:25 AM

I haul mine the same way and never experianced this problem. Maybe it was a fluke.

• PJ426F

Posted December 14, 2003 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. I always have the fuel turned off during transport, so that shouldn't be an issue. In fact, I usually even burn all the fuel out of the lines before I put it away in the garage, although I don't know if this was the case this time.

I guess I will see what happens next time before I worry about it anymore.

• comp182

Posted December 15, 2003 - 07:56 AM

AFTER YOU RIDE AND GET BACK TO THE TRUCK WHILE YOU ARE CHANGING BACK INTO YOU STREET CLOTHS TURN THE GAS OFF AND LET THE BIKE RUN UNTIL IT RUNNS IT SELF OUT OF GAS. MAY TAKE A FEW MINUTES. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO YOUR BIKE IS THAT FUEL IS SLOSHING INTO YOUR CARB AND DOWN THE INTAKE CAUSING THE PLUG TO SOAK IN GAS. THIS ALSO WASHES YOUR CYCLINDER WITH GAS AND THAT IS NOT GOOD. ALSO WHEN STARTING I PULL THE COMPRESION RELEASE AND KICK THE BIKE OVER ABOUT 10 TIMES OR SO. THIS WILL CLEAN IT OUT AND GET THE OILS GOING BEFORE YOU START IT. tHAT IS MY PROCEDURE.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.