* * * * * 2 votes

Tusk Impact Wheelsets

• Please sign in to reply

139 replies to this topic
  • Mx SuperFly 25

TT Bronze Member

309 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:46 PM

I just saw these on Rocky Mountain ATV/MC's page? They are a black rim/red hub complete wheel and I must say are very affordable. For a CRF450 it is $289 for the rear and $259 for the front.

Here is a link for the rear wheel

http://www.rockymoun...erm=tusk impact

I would like to know which company is making them for Tusk. What are your thoughts??

• XCRbird

TT Member

26 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Remember that old saying "You get what you pay for"?

• Crf450r64

TT Bronze Member

464 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:51 PM

My buddy was telling me that the tusk stuff is actually really strong

• ubu

TT Gold Member

1,131 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I've had good luck with the Tusk stuff.
A lot to like... forged hub, stainless spokes, etc
The wheels are a new item though. Personally, I'd probably wait for a few more people to give a review. But, I don't need wheels right now

• Dragon67
2,439 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:30 PM

All I can say is I WISH I had seen these before I bought my Warp 9s. About 4 rounds of spoke tightening with a . . . Tusk. . . spoke torque wrench. The front rim did flare out in a spot. Already. No rocks. No visible damage to the rim. But, I digress.

Tusk makes quality stuff. I don't know about the wheels, but I trust the brand. Look forward to hearing from someone who knows about the wheels.

• yamahakid88

TT Silver Member

756 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 07:52 AM

They look nice, but like XCRBird said, you get what you payed for, and if they are trash, your out a good 500-600$

• AdamW21

TT Silver Member

593 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:33 AM

i wanna know the same thing, i thought about buying there rims to lace up to my stock up. Rockey mountain says the wheel uses OEM spokes

• MichaelY

TT Platinum Member

1,604 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 03:03 PM

Tusk parts are as good as other aftermarket stuff I have used.

I don't know if I was going to buy rims from tusk because I would sure hate for them to bend or crack during a race.

I might get them and just return them if they get un trued.

• Ringo25

TT Silver Member

822 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 21, 2013 - 03:49 PM

I would stay away.

• ITS CHOOKEN
20,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 21, 2013 - 07:48 PM

They may look good , but how long will they last ?

• Dragon67
2,439 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 07:49 PM

The topic is of interest to me because of the Warp9 . . . failure. I could only find a couple reviews on the Tusk. One guy hit a pipe and the front rim was fine, another thought they looked good . . . doesn't say much. The only reason I would bet on Tusk being good is because nothing I have bought with a Tusk name on it, from gas caps, to foot pegs, to gaskets and clutch plates and tools has ever been second-rate in quality, despite remarkable prices. No failures at all, and I have bought a lot of stuff. . . I just get the feeling they care about quality. If they were going to introduce a wheel, you would think a lot of thought would have gone into it. . . conjecture, I know, but the brand has been fantastic.

• myth

TT Member

40 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Keep this in mind. A lot of times a company does not make the parts, just re-badges it. I bought a Tusk front brake for my bike and low and behold it cam in a Gafler bag.
  • MotoX178, ryanthesailorman and AddictedToBling like this
  • Like This

• Mx SuperFly 25

TT Bronze Member

309 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:19 PM

If tusk didn't have a good reputation I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I plan on waiting a while and checking the reviews, etc. I really hope they end up working well for people, it would be great to have a quality wheel for that price.

We will see what happens I guess....

• MichaelY

TT Platinum Member

1,604 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:27 PM

just looked at the pics of them and they look nice...

• CR250_182

TT Addict

3,639 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Tusk makes great products IMO. I could spend more but I dont need to. (Exception: their clutch levers are weak). I've had their clutch kit in for 1 1/2 years and I'm just needing to replace. I have their steel sprocket a x-ring kit for over 8 months and I've adjusted the chain twice and the sprockets still have the little ridges on them.

Their wheel sets look similar to Warp9. I have a Warp9 rear rim laced up to a stock hub for woods and it's held up great for all I've put it through! I've hit a rock hard enough to take a check of the metal off (just off the top layer) but it didn't bend.
If they are just re-branded Warp9s I wouldn't have a worry at all, they'd at least make good backup/practice wheels.

• rpt50

TT Titanium Member

2,959 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:37 AM

Tusk has improved their quality greatly. I bought some Tusk handguards (3 sets) years ago, and all 3 broke in simple tip-over crashes, including one in a race (leaving me with flailing pieces of metal on my bars). I got my money back for those. Since then however, I have not had a single issue with a Tusk product, and RM is one of the first places I look for parts.

We really need to hear from someone who has these wheels. I would love to put an 18" rear on a couple of my bikes.

• piercebronkite

TT Bronze Member

293 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:07 AM

I would try it. I have a few Tusk products and they seem to be good products. I dont have the wheels though.

• diverdown3

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Just lost my rear wheel last weekend due to a disintegrated rear wheel bearing. Destroyed the hub. Trying the rear Tusk Impact wheel as a replacement for the same reasons cited by others. I've not had a Tusk product let me down yet. The wheels will be a sizable step up for Tusk, if they stand up. Arriving tomorrow. Will be ridden in a couple motos this weekend.
  • AdamW21, CR250_182 and MichaelY like this
  • Like This

• CR250_182

TT Addict

3,639 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Just lost my rear wheel last weekend due to a disintegrated rear wheel bearing. Destroyed the hub. Trying the rear Tusk Impact wheel as a replacement for the same reasons cited by others. I've not had a Tusk product let me down yet. The wheels will be a sizable step up for Tusk, if they stand up. Arriving tomorrow. Will be ridden in a couple motos this weekend.

Post a review!

• AdamW21

TT Silver Member

593 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:06 PM

post pics of the wheels when you get them

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.