Tusk Impact Wheelsets

Brand Tusk

• Please sign in to reply

153 replies to this topic
  • Mx SuperFly 25

TT Bronze Member

309 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:46 PM

I just saw these on Rocky Mountain ATV/MC's page? They are a black rim/red hub complete wheel and I must say are very affordable. For a CRF450 it is $289 for the rear and $259 for the front.

Here is a link for the rear wheel

http://www.rockymoun...erm=tusk impact

I would like to know which company is making them for Tusk. What are your thoughts??

• XCRbird

TT Member

26 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Remember that old saying "You get what you pay for"?

• Crf450r64

TT Bronze Member

464 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 07:51 PM

My buddy was telling me that the tusk stuff is actually really strong

• ubu

TT Gold Member

1,242 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I've had good luck with the Tusk stuff.
A lot to like... forged hub, stainless spokes, etc
The wheels are a new item though. Personally, I'd probably wait for a few more people to give a review. But, I don't need wheels right now

• Dragon67
2,500 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:30 PM

All I can say is I WISH I had seen these before I bought my Warp 9s. About 4 rounds of spoke tightening with a . . . Tusk. . . spoke torque wrench. The front rim did flare out in a spot. Already. No rocks. No visible damage to the rim. But, I digress.

Tusk makes quality stuff. I don't know about the wheels, but I trust the brand. Look forward to hearing from someone who knows about the wheels.

• yamahakid88

TT Silver Member

775 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 07:52 AM

They look nice, but like XCRBird said, you get what you payed for, and if they are trash, your out a good 500-600$

• AdamW21

TT Silver Member

596 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:33 AM

i wanna know the same thing, i thought about buying there rims to lace up to my stock up. Rockey mountain says the wheel uses OEM spokes

• MichaelY

TT Platinum Member

1,604 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 03:03 PM

Tusk parts are as good as other aftermarket stuff I have used.

I don't know if I was going to buy rims from tusk because I would sure hate for them to bend or crack during a race.

I might get them and just return them if they get un trued.

• Ringo25

TT Silver Member

832 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 21, 2013 - 03:49 PM

I would stay away.

• NEKOOHC
21,032 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 21, 2013 - 07:48 PM

They may look good , but how long will they last ?

• Dragon67
2,500 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 07:49 PM

The topic is of interest to me because of the Warp9 . . . failure. I could only find a couple reviews on the Tusk. One guy hit a pipe and the front rim was fine, another thought they looked good . . . doesn't say much. The only reason I would bet on Tusk being good is because nothing I have bought with a Tusk name on it, from gas caps, to foot pegs, to gaskets and clutch plates and tools has ever been second-rate in quality, despite remarkable prices. No failures at all, and I have bought a lot of stuff. . . I just get the feeling they care about quality. If they were going to introduce a wheel, you would think a lot of thought would have gone into it. . . conjecture, I know, but the brand has been fantastic.

• myth

TT Member

40 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Keep this in mind. A lot of times a company does not make the parts, just re-badges it. I bought a Tusk front brake for my bike and low and behold it cam in a Gafler bag.
  • MotoX178, ryanthesailorman and AddictedToBling like this
  • Like This

• Mx SuperFly 25

TT Bronze Member

309 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:19 PM

If tusk didn't have a good reputation I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I plan on waiting a while and checking the reviews, etc. I really hope they end up working well for people, it would be great to have a quality wheel for that price.

We will see what happens I guess....

• MichaelY

TT Platinum Member

1,604 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:27 PM

just looked at the pics of them and they look nice...

• CR250_182
4,136 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Tusk makes great products IMO. I could spend more but I dont need to. (Exception: their clutch levers are weak). I've had their clutch kit in for 1 1/2 years and I'm just needing to replace. I have their steel sprocket a x-ring kit for over 8 months and I've adjusted the chain twice and the sprockets still have the little ridges on them.

Their wheel sets look similar to Warp9. I have a Warp9 rear rim laced up to a stock hub for woods and it's held up great for all I've put it through! I've hit a rock hard enough to take a check of the metal off (just off the top layer) but it didn't bend.
If they are just re-branded Warp9s I wouldn't have a worry at all, they'd at least make good backup/practice wheels.

• rpt50

TT Addict

3,077 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:37 AM

Tusk has improved their quality greatly. I bought some Tusk handguards (3 sets) years ago, and all 3 broke in simple tip-over crashes, including one in a race (leaving me with flailing pieces of metal on my bars). I got my money back for those. Since then however, I have not had a single issue with a Tusk product, and RM is one of the first places I look for parts.

We really need to hear from someone who has these wheels. I would love to put an 18" rear on a couple of my bikes.

• piercebronkite

TT Bronze Member

293 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:07 AM

I would try it. I have a few Tusk products and they seem to be good products. I dont have the wheels though.

• diverdown3

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Just lost my rear wheel last weekend due to a disintegrated rear wheel bearing. Destroyed the hub. Trying the rear Tusk Impact wheel as a replacement for the same reasons cited by others. I've not had a Tusk product let me down yet. The wheels will be a sizable step up for Tusk, if they stand up. Arriving tomorrow. Will be ridden in a couple motos this weekend.
  • AdamW21, CR250_182 and MichaelY like this
  • Like This

• CR250_182
4,136 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Just lost my rear wheel last weekend due to a disintegrated rear wheel bearing. Destroyed the hub. Trying the rear Tusk Impact wheel as a replacement for the same reasons cited by others. I've not had a Tusk product let me down yet. The wheels will be a sizable step up for Tusk, if they stand up. Arriving tomorrow. Will be ridden in a couple motos this weekend.

Post a review!

• AdamW21

TT Silver Member

596 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:06 PM

post pics of the wheels when you get them

Related Content

Reviews

Tusk 270mm oversize front brake disc rotor by CRF450XINOZ

Brake Brake Rotors Tusk 270mm oversize front brake disc rotor, Brand Tusk
  • 1 review
  • Last review by CRF450XINOZ
  • On November 10, 2014
Reviews

Tusk D-Flex Handguards by yz250f_spud

Control Handguards Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Brand Tusk
  • * * * * -
  • 9 reviews
  • Last review by nrob
  • On September 20, 2014
Reviews

Tusk Aluminum Handguards by zdts

Control Handguards Tusk Aluminum Handguards, Brand Tusk
  • * * * * -
  • 2 reviews
  • Last review by jimmym
  • On July 21, 2014
Reviews

Tusk Motorcycle Enduro Lighting Kit with Handguard Turn Signals by CySinyard

Electrical Lights & Accessories Tusk Motorcycle Enduro Lighting Kit with Handguard Turn Signals, Brand Tusk
  • * * * * -
  • 6 reviews
  • Last review by tex rider
  • On September 28, 2014
Reviews

Tusk Racing Axle Block by Gravesdigger

Drive Axle Blocks Tusk Racing Axle Block, Brand Tusk
  • * * * * -
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Gravesdigger
  • On March 04, 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.