Cooling fan kit on wr450f

17 replies to this topic
  • predator9791

Posted May 20, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Found this on ebay thinking of ordering what to you guys think. I think its a good looking kit seems easy enough to install.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1369103969246.jpg

• still2smokin

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Hard to tell, but looks kinda cheesy .

What does it draw and what is the temp switch set at to turn the fan on ?

http://www.thumperta.../page__hl__ fan
The above thread should almost be a sticky.......

Edited by still2smokin, May 20, 2013 - 08:55 PM.

• predator9791

Posted May 21, 2013 - 01:39 AM

Universal cooling fan kit for water-cooled MX/SX bikes with a battery. In-line temp switch mounted in a brass fitting turns fan on/off at 100degC / 95degC(212F / 203F). (coolant boiling point is 130degC / 265F, with a 15lb radiator cap at sea level)

The fans are 92mm x 92x 38mm), Fan pulls 110cfm of cool air through your radiator. (The smaller fan is easier to mount and has more cfm). Heavy-duty harness has a built-in weather resistant fuse holder and utilizes quality Molex connectors for reliability.

• PBDBLUE

Posted May 21, 2013 - 05:45 AM

I'm running a 120 x 120 x 25mm fan on my '08. Roughly 90cfm. I think you'll find that a 38mm fan may be hard to mount if you're running an aftermarket tank. In my case I'm running an IMS 3.1 gal and I don't think it would fit. Very nice fitting for the temp sensor though. I wonder if it's available separately? Can you post the link to the Ebay listing?

EDIT - Found it and they do sell the temp sensor separately.

http://www.ebay.com/...3#ht_125wt_1239

Edited by PBDBLUE, May 21, 2013 - 06:05 AM.

• SurfaceToAir

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Be careful of zip tie mounts through the radiator since they can wallow out the fins and damage the tubes. This is true on four wheel buggies/ jeep type rigs that run the fans mounted directly to the radiator. Bikes take a pounding and that fan hanging directly on the radiator might not be a good idea.

If you can mount it to some brackets, then the brackets to the radiator support, it might be better?

Also, mounting fan infront of the radiator ( pushing air ) often has best results for quantity of air through radiator, vs pulling. Though a good shroud like in one of the pics linked to this post looked good.

cheers-
Dustin

Edited by SurfaceToAir, May 21, 2013 - 08:38 AM.

• DuncR6

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Also, mounting fan infront of the radiator ( pushing air ) often has best results for quantity of air through radiator, vs pulling. Though a good shroud like in one of the pics linked to this post looked good.

I like the idea of mounting in front of the radiator since there would be a lot more room to work with. Have you (or anyone else) tried this? Wouldn't it get clogged with mud? That would be the only reason I'd mount on the rear, but would definitely like to mount on the front.

• Mtn-Track

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hard to tell, but looks kinda cheesy .

http://www.thumperta.../page__hl__ fan

The above thread should almost be a sticky.......

^^^ What he said! ^^^ :rolleyes:

• SurfaceToAir

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:39 AM

Wouldn't it get clogged with mud? That would be the only reason I'd mount on the rear, but would definitely like to mount on the front.

Ahhh yes.. Great point.. Little computer fans probably don't do too well caked with mud.

I saw a cool KTM fan + shroud. Would be , um, cool.. If this fit on the WR: http://enduropilot.c...00_450_525.html

cheers-
Dustin

• Mtn-Track

Posted May 21, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Ahhh yes.. Great point.. Little computer fans probably don't do too well caked with mud.

I saw a cool KTM fan + shroud. Would be , um, cool.. If this fit on the WR: http://enduropilot.c...00_450_525.html

cheers-
Dustin

The fan in that kit is a Spal, fitted with a shroud. I haven't had any issues with mud sticking to my Spal 4" fans. They're going for about $51 each on e-bay these days.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • predator9791

Posted May 21, 2013 - 12:56 PM

I should get 2 fans right. Thanks for all the good info.

• SurfaceToAir

Posted May 21, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Sorry, hopefully my last peanut gallery comment..
I would mount the on off switch so that the bike has to be on to have the fan run.. When the bike is off, the switch will be sitting in stagnant hot water, as will the water in the radiator.. And so the fan could continue to run for a long time because its not getting the cooled water flushed over it.. Thus draining the battery.. Same issue on cars..

Though these bikes don't have a thermostat, I wonder if its also preferrable ( though might not be possible ) that the switch is installed after the radiator so you are checking the heat from the cooled water from the radiator, and not hot water coming out of the motor. The fan will be in the on position a lot more if the sensor is installed before the radiator.

I've had to deal with cooling issues on 4 wheeler drive rigs, so this all has my interested on the bikes..

cheers-
Dustin

• mopar99dodge

Posted October 15, 2013 - 06:22 PM

im running the KTM fan i made my own fixed bracket for the fan without the original plastic fan bracket. it fits perfectly between the gas tank and radiator. oh and it really moves some air!! i have it only hard wired into a switch on the handle bars but i plan on wiring in the temp switch to control the fan. hope this helps someone. :ride:

Attached Thumbnails

• 20131003_160547.jpg
  • 20131015_211009.jpg

• dcr25060

Posted January 13, 2015 - 05:59 AM

I've been reading all the various strings about overheating problems on the WR-450 and the ingenious solutions others have come up with.  What I have not seen is any comments or reviews of this product: http://www.boyesen.c...er-kits-40.html

The Boyesen Supercooler Water Pump.  Anyobdy tried this yet?

• dcr25060

Posted January 13, 2015 - 06:17 AM

im running the KTM fan i made my own fixed bracket for the fan without the original plastic fan bracket. it fits perfectly between the gas tank and radiator. oh and it really moves some air!! i have it only hard wired into a switch on the handle bars but i plan on wiring in the temp switch to control the fan. hope this helps someone. :ride:

Is that a modified Trail-Tech fan system?  How difficult was it to make it fit?

• vlxjim

Posted January 13, 2015 - 10:24 AM

This would be easy to make work for a WR. Trail-Tech

dsc_6884_low.jpg

732-fn6.jpg

dsc_6876_low.jpg

• Big Sasko

Posted August 10, 2016 - 03:52 PM

• Big Sasko

Posted August 10, 2016 - 03:55 PM

Hi there, see your bracket you made you have bolted it to the end of heater? And I take it the other two bolts are just bolt together to keep the bracket together and there not thru the fan?

Cheers Paul.

• DRZ04

Posted August 10, 2016 - 09:56 PM

I have a Trail Tech electrical fan on my '13. Easy to install & It works very well. Looks a lot like what vlxjim first picture is. Easy install with no mess or fuss. Bolts up cleanly.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.