Injectioneering YZ450 throttle body modification review

24 replies to this topic
  • gofaster450

Posted May 19, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Just an initial review of the throttle body modification by Injectioneering. After reading various threads regarding this modification, I decided to give Wade a call because the jerky nature of the late model YZ450 made riding it offroad less than ideal.

Before the mod I had installed the G2 throttle tamer and the offroad tune. Together they both helped smooth out the whisky throttle response but they only minimized it, not eliminated it. Holding a low speed was still just about impossible.

I spoke to Wade and shipped my TB to him. I was planning on being in LA the following week and made plans to meet Wade at his facility to pick up the finished TB and carry it home with me to GA when I flew home.

Wade is a very personable guy who clearly knows what he is doing. He explained everything that was done to my TB and the work looked top notch. All machining is done at his shop and there were several other TB's besides mine that had been completed. There are several modifications that are done to the YZ TB but taper boring, a bigger butterfly with bypass hole and tps re-orientation are part of it. To test what the TB mod did I reinstalled the stock throttle tube (removed the G2 throttle tamer) and put the stock tune back in the bike.

The plan was to put the TB on when I got home and ride today. The 8" of rain GA got over the weekend kept a full ride from happening but I did get a chance to ride the bike in my "2nd gear" capable back yard and can confirm that the modifications that Wade did absolutely cured the whisky throttle issue. The response is clean and the jerky nature that the bike exhibited before was totally gone. I will update this thread once I get a full ride in but I expect that I will report that I love the bike that I only liked before the mod.

• luvnoldcars

Posted May 19, 2013 - 03:33 PM

If you don't mind me asking. How much did it cost you.

• gofaster450

Posted May 19, 2013 - 05:57 PM

$295.00

• superretard

Posted May 20, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Pardon the ignorance but wouldn't a proper dyno tune be able to sort the low speed throttle response issue out?

Edited by superretard, May 20, 2013 - 02:06 PM.

• YHGEORGE

Posted May 20, 2013 - 02:16 PM

Pardon the ignorance but wouldn't a proper dyno tune be able to sort the low speed throttle response issue out?

Yeah, and these facilities are on every corner aren't they. :thumbsdn:

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2013 - 02:17 PM

If it could, you'd think it would have been done sometime in the last 3 years, no?

As I understand the problem and the approach taken to correct it, the angle at which the throttle plate sits when closed is too far from 90 degrees to the bore axis. This causes the amount of opening generated by the first 5 degrees of opening to be too great, so the engine tends to pop from idle to 10% power without transitioning through 1 or 3 or 5% power. Injectioneering alters the closing angle to correct it.

Gofaster, since you've spoken to the company directly, please add to or correct this if it needs it.

• gofaster450

Posted May 20, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Gray, you are correct. The butterfly angle is altered hence the repositioning of the tps to correct what the brains of the bike sees. There is really quite a bit more that just the angle of the butterfly that goes into the mod such is the taper boring of the TB throat (larger), the larger butterfly with bleed hole that is required for the larger bore and the incredible tolerances that Wade machines into the assembly. Seriously, this guy takes close tolerances to a new level. I did not opt for the optional throttle pulley which replaces the oblong shaped factory pulley with a much more round pulley since the G2 throttle tamer assembly achieves close to the same result if needed.

Would tuning achieve the same affect? Perhaps. Would it have been less expensive? Maybe. What I can tell you for certain is that the one thing that I have spent accumulatively close to $350 on (G2 throttle tamer and tuner) didn't touch my one gripe with the bike which was the ridiculous lack of ability to hold a steady, low speed through technical sections or even non technical sections like riding from the truck to the trail. I puttered around my home like I was on an XR 400 and not once did the bike stall or feel like it was going to stall. Since I have the tuner I can now play with the tunes and change the way the power is put down without the risk of altering part of a tune that was used to correct the whiskey throttle in the first place. This mod for me is better than a tune because now the tune options are independent of the throttle issues. That and the GTYR tuner makes no difference in the range where the response issue lives.

One other thing, and I have no real idea how this mod would affect it but it sure felt like compression engine braking is reduced as well. Maybe I was just too thrilled with the new reality that this bike has new found flexibility that I was imagining things.

I'm happy with the service and thrilled with my bike.

• superretard

Posted May 20, 2013 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, and these facilities are on every corner aren't they. :thumbsdn:

There is 4 I can think of within 50 miles of me, so that'd be a yes. At least where I'm at.

Good to hear, suprised there is a "design" issue on a Yamaha but glad there is a fix.

Edited by superretard, May 20, 2013 - 04:14 PM.

• YHGEORGE

Posted May 20, 2013 - 04:38 PM

What gofaster is talking about is common to most of the new FI mx'rs, Asian and euro. Very common complaint.

• mxbrewski

Posted May 25, 2013 - 06:56 AM

Just sent mine in to Wade also. Got to discuss some of the mods with him. He was very informative and said that this is the latest version of the modification which allows you to still use the standard pulley. Looking forward to giving a report on this also, but it will probably be in a couple of weeks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • geshields

Posted May 27, 2013 - 04:47 PM

What is turnaround time?

• mxbrewski

Posted May 28, 2013 - 05:38 AM

Wade said it is usually a 2 day turnaround on the modification.

• superretard

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I rode my '11 past weekend for the first time and it certinally does suck in the throttle response department. My carbed '09 is much smoother. I guess I'll be doing this mod pretty soon.

• geshields

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:47 AM

I sent mine in yesterday. Wade was very pleasant to talk to and answered all my questions. Look forward to getting it back and trying it out!

• 2milehigh

Posted June 01, 2013 - 05:09 PM

I used an Injectioneering throttle body on my 2011 YZ450F and it made a dramatic difference. Almost all of my time was spent on tight single track and that is where it shined. Never had a flame out after I switched and the bike was so much easier to ride through technical sections.

• SparksXR426

Posted June 01, 2013 - 05:29 PM

I used an Injectioneering throttle body on my 2011 YZ450F and it made a dramatic difference. Almost all of my time was spent on tight single track and that is where it shined. Never had a flame out after I switched and the bike was so much easier to ride through technical sections.

Exactly. If you ride straight MX or very open terrain this mod doesn't have as much value. My carbed 08 was actually a better woods bike than my 12 until I did this mod. At least for me. I'm a Intermediate rider, faster or slower guys opinions will differ. This is an Internet forum after all. B S is not in short supply.

• 2milehigh

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:15 PM

I agree, not too much of a difference for MX. I liked mine so much I bought another throttle body to install when I sold the bike so I could keep the modded one for my next bike. Ended up going to Kawasaki but it sounded like a good idea at the time.

I raced AA in enduro and I found it helpful, mostly for flameouts and easier starting when hot.

• grunkthump

Posted June 07, 2013 - 04:15 AM

am assuming this mod would benefit the 13' as well?? With the blowout pricing on these bikes now, it's an option!!

• 13KTM450SXFTRLRDR

Posted June 13, 2013 - 07:06 PM

I wonder if he does ktm's my 11 carved was much smoother and didn't flameout/jerk you around like my 13 450. I think the compression engine braking will be less pronounced do to the bleed hole in the butterfly.

• josh hall

Posted June 15, 2013 - 10:29 PM

hi is there anyone in australia that does this mod or do i need to send it to wade if so what is the address??? cheers

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.