2000 WR400F question

10 replies to this topic
  • Strauser18

Posted May 18, 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hey guys I'm new to this suite and I have a few quick questions.. My 2000 WR400F doesn't have a air cleaner box cover, is this an issue? Also when I start the bike the only way I have good throttle response its if the cold start is on. When it is off, it sounds like a lag when I roll the throttle. I'm thinking about taking the carb out and cleaning it. Any help would be great.

• William1

Posted May 18, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Check the AP for a good squirt. If not, check the AP diapghram.

If you do not have an owners manual, D/L it from Yamaha, it is free.

• Strauser18

Posted May 18, 2013 - 02:32 PM

I pulled my carb apart and cleaned it, I'll see if that was the problem, but still wondering if not having a cover for my air box is an issue.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted May 19, 2013 - 10:40 AM

Keep in mind blipping the throttle when bike is on the stand is different then when riding it. You can easily make the bike stumble by cracking the throttle quickly when just sitting in place. When you ride it its a different story. If it stumbles when actually riding then check the accelerator pump squirt timing.

Go to the stickys and check " How to Eliminate the Bog"

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted May 19, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Edited by Team_Oatmeal_Pie, May 19, 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Strauser18

Posted May 19, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Cool I will see how it rides.. Thank you. I still never got an answer about the air box lid.

Edited by Strauser18, May 19, 2013 - 11:25 AM.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted May 19, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Most every one pulls the air box lid, snorkel thing off so the bike can get unrestricted airflow, it should not affect the bike in any negative way.

• Strauser18

Posted May 19, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Thank you... I made an air box cover out of an old plastic lid. And screwed it down just to have a cover...

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted May 21, 2013 - 06:55 PM

make sure you have some big holes in their to let the engine get air. The stock box lid has a hole in it about 2"x4".

you can probably google some pics of what stock looks like.

• Do I Care?

Posted May 24, 2013 - 11:01 PM

To check the accelerator pump is working properly- Remove carb from bike (or airbox intake) to check if the carb squirts fuel when the throttle is applied. You should see a nice stream of fuel. If not, repair AP.

Set your fuel mixture screw to 2 ~2 1/3 turns out (whatever suits best).

• Strauser18

Posted May 25, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thanks guys.. I will google the air box pic for the holes. I also had the carb off to clean it and I had a good stream of fuel when I cracked the throttle. I will also check the mixture screw.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.