Front wheel and rotor

4 replies to this topic
  • m2g4b

Posted November 28, 2001 - 04:21 AM

Okay, two things in one, I recently bent my front rotor on my bike, I took the wheel off and me and a friend bent it back to about .002-.003 runout, it doesnt grab but it still rubs the pads...the bike is about due for front brake pads, but I think when I replace them with new ones it WILL grab...should I try to straighten more or just buy another one? If so is there anybody out there with one laying around for cheap or a good place in mind to get one from? Next is there supposed to be any play from side to side in the front wheel? It is very little but yet is does have some? thanks for the input people!!!

• thumpy

Posted November 28, 2001 - 05:47 AM

I'd say save your allowance and invest in an oversized rotor, this along with the "BK mod" are probably the two biggest improvements one could do to a 426 (except maybe a Thunder Alley pipe and shaving 20 lbs). An oversized rotor will increase your stopping ability by what will feel like 100%. I don't know anything about your current rotor woes or the free play in the wheel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BK14MX

Posted December 04, 2001 - 04:28 AM

Your right about the oversized rotor, I have the 280mm EBC one, the beast will stop now, and I mean in a hurry.

Its have been my experiance, that once a rotor gets bent, use it as a frisbie. I would think that they need to be perfectly straight.

Thumpy is right, go oversized, and get a new ss brake line, Honda Style. You'll be happy you did.

• timmorg

Posted December 04, 2001 - 10:01 PM

Hey-if you are going to replace the rotor then I would definately put on an oversized rotor. You will enjoy the feeling of it. Also if there is any play in the front wheel it might be time to replace the bearings. Just my $0.02

Joe

• teamtoxic

Posted December 04, 2001 - 05:32 PM

<font color="navy">I recently had to replace my rotor and brake pads. I went with the EBC oversized rotor and new EBC brake pads. $135 total at Magic Racing in Utica, MI. Now, if I wanted to :) I could endo the bike by using only the front brake. The braking power is unbelievable compared to stock. Definately go with the oversized unit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.