threaded oil strainer bolt on 2005 wr450f

3 replies to this topic
  • max94

Posted May 17, 2013 - 05:31 AM

hi, i was changing the oil on my 2005 yamaha wr450f today and i decided to take the oil strainer out as it had never been done before. it was done up really tight so i used a breaker bar and a socket to get it off ( don't ever do this) i got it out but the thread on the bolt is completely stripped and won't go back in, which is really annoying as i was planning on going for a ride tomorrow! im just starting to worry as i can't find replacements anywhere online and there is no dealers anywhere near me. if anyone knows how to get hold of a new one it would be really useful to know. thanks
btw this is my first post so if i put this in the wrong area let me know please

• k.g

Posted May 17, 2013 - 06:05 AM

Just put a different 10mm bolt back in it (10mm thread, NOT 10mm size head) with the copper washer. A hardware store should have it or use one seat bolt if you need to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • max94

Posted May 17, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for the response, but that wouldn't work as the the bolt is specific for this bike. Its a hollow bolt that screws into the bottom of the oil tank and has a filter on top that goes into the tank. i finally found a dealer that found one but it wont to arrive till late next week which is a pain as my friends are going without me now and I've never been on a proper ride on this bike yet :(

Attached Thumbnails

• 1368811829754.jpg

• k.g

Posted May 17, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Oh, for some reason I was thinking the sump drain bolt.

My advice? Don't ride. Oil is the life blood of the entire bike, don't risk a shoddy repair to go ride. Wait until you can get the proper replacement.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.