Milky stuff from breather??

9 replies to this topic
  • Amador

Posted November 27, 2001 - 09:05 PM

Hey guys,

I went riding last weekend and when i stopped for a rest i noticed some mily white fluid comin from my crank case breather hose. i've never seen this before, I've had the bike almost two years and i ride it at least once a week. Has anybody else experienced this? or have any idea as to what it is? thanks for any info.

Chris

• oweel

Posted November 27, 2001 - 10:19 PM

Amador,

It's probably oil mixed with water (get's a white color!).
It is normal that there is a little bit of oil. Where the water came from? Maybe you cleaned your bike before riding? If it ain't to much, i think it's no problem.
I have experienced the same thing (Almost every time I ride).

Oweel.

• Psycho426

Posted November 27, 2001 - 11:22 PM

Amador - No to worry it's normal, the YZ has high performance engine with high compression, there will be some 'blow by' this will then vent into your cylinder breather hose.

• 99400f

Posted November 28, 2001 - 04:44 AM

don't just sign off on this...change oil...check clutch...if it still happens theres a seal going bad...white milky oil does'nt lubricate very well

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 28, 2001 - 05:19 AM

I agree with 99400f. Some oil at the breather is normal, but white milky color isn't. Find out why it is milky in color. It may be that you crossed some water on your ride and the oil at the end of the breather just got mixed with the water. Or it could be something like a bad water pump seal, etc.. Even if the color goes away you should find the source (and probably change the oil and check your coolant level for good measure).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Amador

Posted November 28, 2001 - 06:37 AM

So if I change the oil and it's normal, am I OK? I was crossing a lot of water on my ride. The coolant is fine I checked that already. Thanks guys! You always help out!

Chris

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 28, 2001 - 07:18 AM

If it was water, and the engine runs long enough then the water will steam out. You should still change the oil, but it is possible that it won't be milky if the engine was run for a while. If it has been sitting long enough and there is still water in it then the water will come out first when you drain it (oil and water will separate, water on bottom).

If you crossed a lot of water while riding then I'm guessing that you sucked up some water from the trail somehow. Still keep an eye on the coolant, but if this is the case then you should be OK with an oil change.

• PWDAD

Posted November 29, 2001 - 10:14 PM

his happened to me. I changed the oild and found milky white oil. What happened is the water pump seal and blown and the water was crossing into the oil passed the water pump shaft seal. Had to change out the seal and the problem was fixed.

Be careful with the rod remove it properly.

PWDAD

• Squidwerd_on_a_400f

Posted November 29, 2001 - 12:08 PM

I agree with changing the oil to be safe. Ride the bike, 10 mins. check the oil once again. If the color is still milky, you have a problem. I too would start at the water pump. This is a very good starting point.

Laying the thump down in Philly!!!!!!!
99 yz-400
01 xr-100r wife
00 cr-50 husky twister

• Thumpin_426

Posted November 29, 2001 - 03:03 PM

Yeh, I sunk my bike last week in a 5 foot deep sippy hole down here in Florida ( Don't Ask!! ) and changed my oil two times. I'm still getting that "WATOIL" crap dripping out of my breather. Keep checking it. If it continues after a non-water ride you probably have a problem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.