2000 WR400?

4 replies to this topic
  • Donjholt

Posted May 16, 2013 - 12:31 PM

I am thinking of picking up a 2000 WR400. The deal is that it does not currently run( been sitting 2 years). If I take it non-running 750.00 or running 1200. I own a crf450 and KTM 300 exc currently. Curious for any feedback on this bike before I make a decision.Thanks

• miweber929

Posted May 16, 2013 - 12:49 PM

I am thinking of picking up a 2000 WR400. The deal is that it does not currently run( been sitting 2 years). If I take it non-running 750.00 or running 1200. I own a crf450 and KTM 300 exc currently. Curious for any feedback on this bike before I make a decision.Thanks

If you have a CRF and an EXC, what are you hoping this will do that your current bikes won't? What do you not like about your current rides?

That info will help those with 400's give more info.

WR's in general are great all around bikes, the 400's main weak point in my estimation is no electric leg, can be slightly tricky to start until you find it's pattern and a powerband (at least the 426 was I rode before buying my 450) is more "motocrosser" than trail bike. I love my 04 450 but less so if it didn't have an electric start. Though at 6'3" 235 lbs. I have no trouble kick starting it if needed. As well the 400 and 426 do not have a battery so if you plan on dual sporting it that fact may affect your decision.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Donjholt

Posted May 16, 2013 - 01:01 PM

If you have a CRF and an EXC, what are you hoping this will do that your current bikes won't? What do you not like about your current rides?

That info will help those with 400's give more info.

WR's in general are great all around bikes, the 400's main weak point in my estimation is no electric leg, can be slightly tricky to start until you find it's pattern and a powerband (at least the 426 was I rode before buying my 450) is more "motocrosser" than trail bike. I love my 04 450 but less so if it didn't have an electric start. Though at 6'3" 235 lbs. I have no trouble kick starting it if needed. As well the 400 and 426 do not have a battery so if you plan on dual sporting it that fact may affect your decision.

Mike

I was using my CRF for a woods bike, when the bike was down for awhile awaiting a valve job, I picked up the 300 thinking it would be more suited to me in the woods. I love the 300 in the woods, however, when I got the CRF back I took it out and remembered how easy it was to ride in the woods. It is just a lot of bike, especially compared to the 300. Looking for a smaller than crf but not as small as the 300 if that makes any sense. My riding buddy has a YZ426 that just rides bigger than the CRF. That's one of my concerns with the WR also

Edited by Donjholt, May 16, 2013 - 01:02 PM.

• robert93727

Posted May 25, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Ive owned on for years and I love it :)

• Do I Care?

Posted May 25, 2013 - 05:47 PM

The 2000 model is a great model to buy. Instead of the POS Gen 1 Kiehin carb it has the Gen 2. It also has Excel rims as standard.

I have a 1999 model WR400 and love everything about it except the fact that there is no electric start option (same for the WR426) and no option for a Recluse clutch or Z-Start (I think it's called). My other gripe is that the seat is not comfortable enough for trails so I will be changing that when possible.

The previous owner had been up to 180 KMH so this thing MOVES! It is not too powerful for trails though and can be ridden slowly without too much clutch work. It seems light, responsive, easy to ride, handles well (I upgraded to YZ400 rear suspension and YZ426 front but yet to try) and is an overall absolute winner of a bike.

Can't wait until my WR is re-built :(

Jarrah

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.