Track Building

14 replies to this topic
  • nozzlejockey

Posted November 27, 2001 - 05:53 PM

I am looking for some info on building a track at home. I need to know the avg. height of whoops and thier spacing, Advise on a step up and IF a 70' table top should be able to be run from both sides. I have about 2 acres to work with and it has some hills. Any info appriciated.

Later The Fireman

• tawood385

Posted November 28, 2001 - 04:56 AM

Wow, all that on 2 acres....very ambitious. I built a track two years ago on 10 acres using a farm tractor and a bobcat. When I built my whoops, I started by making 1 whoop, then spaced the next one by driving my tractor forward as close as it would go to that first whoop while pulling dirt with the back blade...ended up with whoops about 2 feet tall, spaced about 10 feet apart, and they seem fine.
Couple of things I learned to keep in mind: Where I live, drainage is very important. I didn't consider drainage when I first built and ended up having to completely redesign my track after the first spring of underwater track! Also, remember that everything you build will settle...I had to rebuild a couple of jumps because after a year they looked like peewee jumps. Last, try to use your space wisely, especially with 2 acres...try to get as many runs back and forth as you can, with maybe one sweeper along the outside. A "C" shaped outside loop with switchbacks on the inside is what most track builders do with a small space.
Tim

• tawood385

Posted November 28, 2001 - 05:03 AM

Oh I almost forgot... I think any obstacle can be run from both directions, but may require a different approach. I originally built a 40 foot table top, then decided it was too small. Instead of increasing the size of the table top (table tops use ALOT of dirt), I just put a single jump just before it, about 20 feet from it. Now, when I run my track counterclockwise, I jump that single jump and land 60 feet away on the table top downside. In the other direction, I take the table top by itself, then the single jump (I don't have the nads to do it all in one jump from that direction).
Tim

• Odie

Posted November 28, 2001 - 05:26 AM

A couple of years ago, I built a really cool track on my buddies grandfathers property. He had 15 acres total and we built the track in a 5 acre corrall. I built it with a Caterpillar track Bobcat. Dude, it was a lot of freakin work. Whoops - yeah 2' high sounds good. I set them 8' apart. I had 6 35'-40' doubles. Take-offs were about 7'-8' high and they tossed you up there. Landings were very forgiving - very round and long, maybe 5' high. We also had a rythem section and a 50' table. Building the table was a project cause I couldn't scavage up that much dirt without digging a huge hole - so I had to truck in 60 yards to compensate. Drainage wasn't an issue for me - the corrall was up on a small hill. And yes, everything does settle quite a bit. Whatever equipment you use, remember to pack it down - drive up down the obsatcles. And remember - whatever you build - you as the builder will be expected to jump it first :D
So play it safe and check those take-off angles.
Have fun. We rode on that track for a year & 1/2 until the old man built 3 houses on the other 10 acres. The new home owners didn't like all the music coming from the corrall. Bastards! :)

Later,
Odie

• thumpy

Posted November 28, 2001 - 06:54 AM

How long did it take you guys to build your tracks? I'm gonna be moving to the land of "no moto" and will have to build my own track on a few acres. I'm going from So Cal to Rhode Island. I've got a dozen "state of the art" tracks within an hours drive now. I haven't seen any of the tracks in New England other than Southwick and Southwick isn't much more than a natural terrain track, nothing like we have out here. I hope the other tracks out there aren't the same as Southwick. Alright, enough of my ranting....

• Odie

Posted November 28, 2001 - 05:14 PM

Thumpy,

It took me a while. Maybe a week & 1/2. It took me a couple of days for the layout, a few more to build all the jumps & obstacles and the rest was spent touching up and building/fixing stuff. Once you ride it for the first time, you'll immediately want to improve or change things. It was a lot of work but it was fun. And you really don't need all that much property - I mean most arenacross tracks are on not even an acre - so the layout is critical in small areas.

So you're moving to Rhode Island - it's a cool coastal area. I think you'll find some tracks. There's some in Mass. and there's some good ones in CT. Look up the New England Riders Association - there on the internet and they have more info. Riding spots will be OK, winter is what's going to kill you. My man, it gets freakin' cold. And unless you're into snow and ice racing, you'll go nuts staring at your bikes for 3-4 months. :) I live in New York and winter absolutely SUCKS. And then there's the April snow thaw that leaves everything under water. Dude, pick up a quad for winter - it helps keep me sane.

Later,
Odie

• thumpy

Posted November 28, 2001 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Odie,

Yes it is going to drive me nutts, especially since the winter is our best time of year to ride here, it's what we all wait for here in Cal. I guess I'll get much better at snowboarding this winter.

I found a website www.motocrosstracks.com. It has a list of every track in every state and I did find some tracks in Conn & Mass, but I don't have any idea how they're laid out. I'm hoping they'll be similar to the stuff we have out here.

We'll have to hook up and do a few laps this spring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Odie

Posted November 29, 2001 - 04:10 AM

Thumpy,

Sounds like a plan. I can usually be found at the CT River MX Track (located in Rocky Hill,CT). Great place. Anyway, look me up - 00'426, YOT graphics, #22, Red Jeep Grand Cherokee, cold Coronas in cooler
:)

Later,
Odie

• Chris_Slade

Posted November 29, 2001 - 05:30 AM

Can I have your place in SoCal?? This place stinks.

• thumpy

Posted November 29, 2001 - 06:36 AM

Odie,

That's an offer I can't refuse! I'll bring the lime :) I'll be the one clinching the fence yelling open! open! open! come March or whenever they start back up again.

Chris,

This is a great place to be if you're single, no place on earth has more hot chicks than we do :D (except Heff's mansion). The only caviat is it takes a minimum six figure income to afford to live here comfortably. Unless you don't mind living in the nastiest nieghborhoods with gangsters. The schools are the worst in the nation and the people here prove it (many thousand dollar millionaires here also). Come on out and spend your youth here, find a hotty, and move somewhere else to raise your kids.

• tawood385

Posted December 01, 2001 - 02:45 AM

About 1 1/2 weeks to build sounds about right....not counting my rebuild due to drainage problems, I worked about 10 days full time to build my track.
Tim

• chopbroc

Posted December 01, 2001 - 05:34 AM

Building a track will be a lot of work. Draw it out on paper first. Model it after some Supercross and Arenacross tracks (with smaller safer obsticles). Ticketmaster use to have Supercross track layouts on-line. Not sure if they still do. It probably will not be a fast track, maybe more technical, but lots of fun. Get input from your friends (all different levels). With careful planning, I think you can lay it out so you can go both ways. Then it's like having 2 tracks. (Generally a take off jumps will be steaper than the landing, so it might be more fun one way.)

I built a 3.5 mile single track enduro loop. It's a blast to run backwards. Everyone uses it and now its so rough, it's like a 3.5 mile motocross track without the jumps. Great place to train. You've got to be precise or you'll impale yourself on a Saguaro cactus and look like a pin cushion. Have you ever heard of jumping cactus? Believe it because it's real. If anyone wants to come ride the desert, just let me know.

Also, make sure your not going to have problems with neighbors. Some are just a pain in the rear.

Broccoli (chopbroc@hotmail.com)

• thumpy

Posted December 01, 2001 - 06:14 AM

I've got a good idea of the type of track I want to build. I can model it after a couple of tracks that are out here already. I'll see what the terrain is and work from there. I'm not too worried about the neighbor issue. I'll check with the building dept to make sure there aren't any restrictions there, then I go to work. Odds are it'll be in an area that isn't densely populated anyway, in fact I've seen a few parcels that are deemed "unbuildable" and should be ideal for this type of endeavor. Ultimately, if people don't like it they'll just have to deal.

That reminds me of a story about a guy (builder) that bought some land and was preparing to build on it. The home wasn't going to be a "traditional" style home but nothing outrageous or kooky either, it just wasn't a "colonial" and the neighbors fought him and prevented his permit from being issued. The lot would have needed to be cleared prior to building as it was 90% trees so he went in and cut all the trees down leaving 4' tall stumps (100's of them) all over the property. Then he painted them bright flourescent colors with funky designs on them. To say it's an eyesore is an understatement. This proves there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

• Odie

Posted December 03, 2001 - 04:23 AM

One thing to remember when building a track - is to check with the local authorities regarding the noise ordinance laws. Usually, excessive noise is only allowed within certain hours. When I investigated the laws, I found that these laws were passed to keep people from running there leaf blowers too early or too late.

I was fully prepared for the first encounter with the local police. They paid us a visit on our second ride. It was a Sunday and they stopped by at noon. I told them that we can make noise from 10am to 6pm and that the first bike did not start until 11am. They agreed - then they proceeded to hang out with us for the next 2 hours and check out the action. One even took a short ride on a CR250 - in uniform.

Later,
Odie

• Odie

Posted December 03, 2001 - 04:24 AM

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: Odie ]

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.