YZ400F Backfire

2 replies to this topic
  • Hansinator

Posted May 15, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Ive had a 99' Yamaha YZ400F for about 3 years now, and its an awesome bike! bone stock and has been running well for years.
i took it out a couple times over the winter and it was running badly. i assumed this was because it is not fuel injected and jetted for warm weather. i took it out a few times in warmer weather and it still runs badly. the throttle response is not very snappy like it used to be, and it backfires a lot during deceleration. it is also much louder and sounds like crackling instead of the deep sound we have all come to love. i took out the plug (which looked fine), cleaned and gapped it correctly (.029), and i took out the carburetor yesterday, cleaned it as best i could (it also looked fine when i took it out) and put it back in. i started it today and it still runs badly. i thought this was a jetting issue, but could it be that the valves need to be adjusted? it seems like its running hot to me, possibly lean but im not sure. any advice would be helpful!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2013 - 02:48 PM

• rdefonce

Posted May 16, 2013 - 05:24 PM

As GrayRacer alluded to, it's either jetting or air leak.
I had '99 YZ400F, I lived with the popping for a couple years, then got tired of it.
One of two steps richer pilot jet mostly fixed my 400F backfiring.
Also helped to raise the needle one notch for anything other than summer riding conditions.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.