clutch will not disengage '08 yz450

2 replies to this topic
  • idkx450f

Posted May 15, 2013 - 10:26 AM

posting for a buddy of mine, he has a low hour 08 yz450f, we were riding and all of a sudden the clutch would not disengage and he was stalling the bike. the bike has a rekluse zstart pro clutch so first thought was that. he pulled it apart and put in the factory clutch and it still does it. it just wont disengage. any common issues that you guys know of or any idea? the local dealer told him $3000 for a trans rebuild but they havent even seen the bike. do you have to split cases to rebuild trans?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2013 - 10:57 AM

Yes you do, but so far, there's no proof it needs it.

You say that it won't disengage, so I assume his stalling happens as he slows to a stop. Doe it not disengage at all, or just not completely? Does it shift through the gears fairly normally?

Odd that it should behave the same with both clutches. When the clutch is tightened on the main shaft, does the boss (hub) and main shaft turn freely without the plates in place?

• idkx450f

Posted May 15, 2013 - 11:37 AM

im in idaho and hes in utah so i dont have direct access to the bike. i was down there riding with him when it happened, he had the rekluse in it and it would not disenage at all. so i pulled the clutch cover off and the plates would move as if it were disengaged and there was no lever tension (rekluse) so i put it back together and and started it on the stand still no lever tension like normal (again rekluse) and would get tension when reved up. but would stall as soon as you put into gear, lever in or out. i couldnt go through the gears while running but its not shifting very smooth not running on the stand. he reinstalled the stock clutch and still has issues

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.