Front brake line design

7 replies to this topic
  • DaveJ

Posted November 27, 2001 - 11:59 AM

For those not aware of this, high performance brake lines come in two diameter sizes. The traditional size for most lower cost performance lines are referred to as a -3 (which I think is 1/8 inch ID). Fastline being the best example.

Higher cost lines are a -2. For most of the road racing applications I've troubled myself with, I've always used a -2 line. There's virtually no time delay between squeeze and brake action, critical when tenths of a second make the difference. Most higher end automotive race lines are also –2.

However, the feel and connection with the brake is also phenomenal. Causing me to ponder the construction of a -2 line for project 426.

I've found a company that will build it, but I have to spec it.

Can anyone think of why this would be a bad idea?

• MN_Kevin

Posted November 27, 2001 - 01:35 PM

No, sounds good to me!

Run with it! :)

• Amador

Posted November 27, 2001 - 02:16 PM

The only bad idea is having a good idea and not acting on it.

• thumpy

Posted November 27, 2001 - 05:29 PM

Do it! Then report back to us with the specs, pricing, and results. Thank you, thank you very much (Elvis impersonation, pretty good eh!) :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_F

Posted November 28, 2001 - 10:18 PM

Dave, what is the ID of the -2 hose?

• DaveJ

Posted November 28, 2001 - 10:28 PM

-4 is 3/16th, and -3 is 1/8th.

So I would assume a -2 is 1/16th.

Small eh?

I run this on my R1 and the feel and connection with the brake is amazing.

What this means on the dirt I have no idea, but I thought it may be something worth experimenting with.

The hard part is getting the components.

• 99400f

Posted November 28, 2001 - 10:45 PM

all i can imagine is bending or pinching of the hose would cause a problem..with that small id ( .0625 dia. is pretty small )careful on the mounting..maybe have it steel flex wrapped..and a cr routing conversion ?

• rwcfrank

Posted November 28, 2001 - 11:49 AM

I think -2 will be fine... the pistons in the caliper are very small and you dont need to move much fluid. BTW Dash 2 is 2/16 or 1/8 and dash 3 is 3/16 internal diameter... Trivia for the day...

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.