Yes, another jetting topic, just looking for confirmation

7 replies to this topic
  • g17jimmy

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:01 PM

2003 WR450 - all free mods done, de-corked, gray wire, high flow air filter, YZ titanium silencer, 05 starter upgrade, and more...

I re-jetted and at first the bike was stuttering around 6500rpm(~1/2 throttle) so I moved the clip down a notch, now it's stuttering at 8500rpm (~3/4 throttle.) I'm thinking I need to go up a size on the main jet. Thoughts?

http://www.thumperfaq.com/jetting.htm

Edited by g17jimmy, May 14, 2013 - 09:01 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 14, 2013 - 10:23 PM

So I guess we are supposed to guess the jets you are using now?

• g17jimmy

Posted May 15, 2013 - 04:21 AM

Opps -- I guess so. I shouldn't try to post when it's so late at night after a long day. I'll update when I get to work later...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 15, 2013 - 05:30 AM

I'm going to make an educated guess:

You are still using the original Needle jet (emulsion tube) and it is worn out and ovaled. Replace it.
Try a NCVS needle or a JD Red needle when you do that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • g17jimmy

Posted May 15, 2013 - 06:56 AM

I'm an idiot, that's the problem. I forgot to tighten the clamp on the engine side of the carb. I'll tighten it when I get home today and test again, hopefully that solves the issue. Just in case I still have the problem, here's my thinking on the issue:

I picked up a set of FMF stage 1 jets (includes needle) for cheap. I've read a lot of stuff that people don't like FMF jets, or so it seems, but they were cheap. If they don't end up working out I won't be worried. I can see a lot of difference in the factory needle vs the FMF needle, but the FMF needle doesn't seem to have a part number on it, so I can't tell any specifics other than it came with the stage 1 kit.

I installed the new needle instructions say to install the clip on notch #2 and for the WR450 say to use a 140 MJ , or a 148 if the air box is modded (mine is.) Initially it was stuttering around 1/2 throttle, so I moved the clip to #3 and that's resolved. If I understand the graphs (link in the original post) of where the different carb functions come into play, >3/4 is the MJ. The issue I have is that the largest MJ the kit came with is 150, so if that isn't big enough I have to figure out where to get the right jet for the needle.

I must say just with changing the MJ/needle power down low is much improved. I always thought this bike was strong before, on a hard acceleration from stopped I'd be riding the tank just to keep the front tire close to the ground in 1st/2nd and the tire would come up a little in 3rd. Now 3rd is almost like 1st/2nd. I know the "seat of your pants" dyno isn't terribly accurate, but 3rd gear told me there was definitely an improvement.

• g17jimmy

Posted May 17, 2013 - 06:12 AM

I tightened up the clamp on the engine side of the carb and now it's stumbling at 6500 (1/2 throttle) again. I contacted FMF and they said to contact DynoJet. Great service at FMF /sarcasm....

As it is right now, 148 MJ, FMF needle(no identifying marks on the needle), 3rd clip position, all other jets factory.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 17, 2013 - 06:57 AM

FMF / dynojet jets and needles are notorious for being 'imperfect'.
Genuine Keihin jets only...........

• g17jimmy

Posted May 28, 2013 - 09:57 AM

After realizing that the loose manifold issue was actually helping, I realized that the needle was rich and moving the clip to position 3 only made things worse. I backed that off to position 1 and the bike is smooth now, but the low end power is missing. I don't race, and should probably not accelerate as hard/fast as I sometimes do, so that may not be a bad thing. The only thing that bothers me about moving the clip up is that it's not as strong at the very top end, either (70-90mph,) and since this bike is about 50/50 on/off-road, sometimes you do have to push it a little. I guess I'll play with jetting more when I need to take the carb off again.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.