05 YZ450F Valve job scare

1 reply to this topic
  • deraleak

Posted May 14, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Got this bike from my friend not too long ago, and it was having some problems starting so I decided to check valve clearance. Sure enough they were getting tight.
When I was taking the cams out, I set them aside and went on with the job. When I went to put them back in, I noticed that the exhaust cam was missing the little metal ring half that sits under the cam. There is clearly a groove where there should be one, and I don't know if it somehow fell down into the engine or if it was missing when I bought the bike. I fear that it fell down into the engine... I haven't gone any deeper into the bike than a valve adjustment, so if you guys have any video links or walkthroughs you think would help guide me they'd be much appreciated. I found a European version of the owners manual so maybe it will have everything I need. Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • deraleak

Posted May 14, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Found owners manual, found the little metal clip that cause me so much grief.. Will forever stuff a rag down where the cam chain is now. Now moving on with restoration!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.