Fuel Injection or Carb Pros vs Cons

7 replies to this topic
  • freeriders98

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:26 AM

So I am hopefully going to be picking up a bike in the spring, maybe even this winter. I have always been a big fan of the WR as I ride trails 95% of the time. I like the option of being able to plate it easily and use roads to jump from trail to trail. But I am not a fan of the weight. I recently sold my WR and picked up a 250 2 smoke. Rode it about 5 times and sold it. I LOVED how light it was, but just not my thing.

So I am thinking of going with a YZ450. So my question is do I look at a 2010-11ish with the fuel injection or save the cash and buy an 08-09ish? I don't race, although I would like to do a couple MX races for fun and plan to do some desert/hare scramble races.

What are your thoughts?

• mpmoto

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:39 AM

I've had both, loved the 09 better than the injected model but that's just me.

the 08 09 will do everything you want it to but then again the EFI is so much easier to tune within seconds. you can load different maps for each type of riding u want to do.

they both as good as each other. just depends if you want to spend the cash or not

• freeriders98

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:47 AM

the 08 09 will do everything you want it to but then again the EFI is so much easier to tune within seconds. you can load different maps for each type of riding u want to do.

they both as good as each other. just depends if you want to spend the cash or not

The tuning thing is my BIGGEST selling point. I have VERY limited experience with jetting, and how to do it. And my work schedule is so busy that when I do get away to ride I want to ride not tinker with jetting. Its hard to get the jetting right when you ride at 3000-5000 higher than where you live. That is also a big reason I got ride of the 250 smoker. For my lack of knowledge and time I thought it was to risky to acidently run the bike lean and have to rebuild.

I am a very average rider, so i probably can't tell the difference in small frame or suspension changes. The fuel injection just seems like it would be much easier to dial in for a non-jetting guru.

• mpmoto

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:56 AM

in its standard tune, the 450 has a lot of power. enough to handle on the track but very aggressive. I found that it wore me out to quickly. arm pump, hand cramps etc

the good thing being EFI, you can tame it down a lot so it's not aggressive.

unlIke carby. once it's jetted its done and the power is the same all the time.

Edited by mpmoto, May 13, 2013 - 08:57 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdefonce

Posted May 13, 2013 - 08:59 AM

I had '99 400, and '08 450, now a '10 450.
'08 and '10 are similar, but it is nice not having to jet. Especially if your elevation changes during ride, it's always "jetted" well with FI.;-)

That said, the '10 doesn't start as easily when hot as with the Carb'd bikes w/hot start lever. Sometimes takes a couple extra kicks.

• freeriders98

Posted May 13, 2013 - 09:15 AM

the good thing being EFI, you can tame it down a lot so it's not aggressive.

That would be nice

• zombiekillr.45

Posted May 31, 2013 - 07:55 AM

being a proud efi owner and experienced carb tuner, with your needs I would say get efi, elevation changes and no tuning experience could cause problems, spend some cash and hold on to the efi monster

• gofaster450

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:33 AM

I have owned both (currently have a 12 YZ450) and each have their good/bad. The last of the carbs were very well developed with few downsides. They started relatively easily, the power was metered better in my opinion (low to high) and they were relatively trouble free. The FI is early in it's development life (relatively speaking). I ride purely off road and I initially found the power pretty darn abrupt, flat on top and starting does take more kicks. Also, on my 12 flame out is more pronounced at lower RPM's than my carb'd bike.

I had injectioneering address the abruptness (after the mod I am convinced this characteristic lies entirely within the throttle body) off idle. I like the ability to load different tunes which affects where and how (not more) the power presents itself but what I love is the overall feel of the bike, particularly the suspension. It is hands down the best stock suspended bike for off road I have ridden.

With some tweaking the 10-13 FI bikes can be anything you want them to be but it does take some time and effort to get it there and only you can decide if that meets your ability and interest level. If you want a point and shoot bike with little effort go for an 09 but I believe that with a bit of work/effort you will have a better overall product with the 10-13 bikes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.