90/100 watt bulbs

3 replies to this topic
  • exracer2

Posted May 13, 2013 - 07:17 AM

I have a 99 wr400 and a 01 wr426. I believe they both have 130watt stator s . I am also using led turn signals and tail/ brake lights. Will this stator support these bulbs? Exracer2

• William1

Posted May 13, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Nope. Nor will they really be that much brighter. If you need more like, look at the HID or LED complete lights from Baja Design, Cyclops and a few others. Do not consider a just a bastadized retrofit HID Ebay kit.

Good HID or LED setups will draw under 50 watts, a bit more on start up for the HID.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted May 16, 2013 - 12:09 PM

Im going through this right now with a dual sport conversion on an '06 WR 450
I called Baja Desigs and asked a similar question.
When I rewind the stator I will go up to 100W.
They said that the highest bulb I can run is a 55/60 or else the batt will not charge.
ie, you can only 'steal' half the electricity for the headlight.
The other half has to go to charging the batt and all the other lights.

The light housing on mine looks kind of small and the quality of the focus it makes seems questionable.
Like somebody said above, I bet it wont incr the brightness too much and just make more heat and melt something.

BTW: One last thing, once you go past 55W or so you start passing a lot of current through the handlebar switch = short life.
Far better to turn headlight on/off thru a relay Eastern Beaver in Japan makes these really nice pre-wired harnesses if you don't want to mess with fabricating one.

I'm going to look for a whole new headlight assy powered by LED eventually so long as it costs under a million dollars.
LEDs draw only a farction of the juice, again call Baja Designs, they may have something

• RickyStator

Posted May 16, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Im going through this right now with a dual sport conversion on an '06 WR 450
I called Baja Desigs and asked a similar question.
When I rewind the stator I will go up to 100W.
They said that the highest bulb I can run is a 55/60 or else the batt will not charge.
ie, you can only 'steal' half the electricity for the headlight.
The other half has to go to charging the batt and all the other lights.

The light housing on mine looks kind of small and the quality of the focus it makes seems questionable.
Like somebody said above, I bet it wont incr the brightness too much and just make more heat and melt something.

BTW: One last thing, once you go past 55W or so you start passing a lot of current through the handlebar switch = short life.
Far better to turn headlight on/off thru a relay Eastern Beaver in Japan makes these really nice pre-wired harnesses if you don't want to mess with fabricating one.

I'm going to look for a whole new headlight assy powered by LED eventually so long as it costs under a million dollars.
LEDs draw only a farction of the juice, again call Baja Designs, they may have something

The stock system will support about 55 watts AC, AC will not run HID or LED. You can only draw about 20 watts from the stock WR battery without draining it. The common modification done to the WR stator is two combine the two outputs and send all the power to the battery. This will give you about 70 watts DC, no way it will run 100 watts. If you need more power a hi output stator kit will be needed. We carry the HID upgrade for the stock light, also carry a hi output stator kit. If you decide to just mod the stock stator we offer the required rectifier/regulator for $39.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.