Repacking the Stock Silencer

2 replies to this topic
  • Fruitfarmer231

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:41 AM

Did a search and nothing came back, I've got my silencer on the 05 WR450 pulled apart and have been attempting to repack and stuff it back in the cannister. Couple things first if you ever considering tackling this yourself. 1. The baffle/cartridge can be inserted upside down so confirm the correct orientation. There is some interference with the spark arrestor if you intend to reinstall, 2. the room between the cannister and perforated canninster/insert is minimal, room for only about a 1/2 layer of packiing,, and a real SOB to reinsert. I've followed some repacking videos, and the "core" on those silencers is much smaller and apparently make reinstall a simpler process. In fact I am about ready to go purchase an aftermarket silencer and pitch the whole works in a can. If you have done this and can suggest some tips, I'm sure any rider contemplating this would also appreciate it.
Thanks,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted May 12, 2013 - 08:21 AM

Stock silencer isn't an absorption type and hence doesn't need re-packing as it doesn't degrade over time
Its known as a mechanical baffle, as the sound level is reduced by the different chambers within the silencer each targeting specific frequency of sound

There is a small amount of wadding just inside of the cans' internal surface but I don't think you'll be able to replace it

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 12, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Did a search and nothing came back, I've got my silencer on the 05 WR450 pulled apart and have been attempting to repack and stuff it back in the cannister. Couple things first if you ever considering tackling this yourself. 1. The baffle/cartridge can be inserted upside down so confirm the correct orientation. There is some interference with the spark arrestor if you intend to reinstall, 2. the room between the cannister and perforated canninster/insert is minimal, room for only about a 1/2 layer of packiing,, and a real SOB to reinsert. I've followed some repacking videos, and the "core" on those silencers is much smaller and apparently make reinstall a simpler process. In fact I am about ready to go purchase an aftermarket silencer and pitch the whole works in a can. If you have done this and can suggest some tips, I'm sure any rider contemplating this would also appreciate it.
Thanks,

What you are describing is not a stock muffler.
You get the perforated tube to line up correctly, it's easiest to remove the rear cone of the muffler. This may require drilling out the rivets, and replacing them with screws.
To get packing to fit, use safety wire to hold the packing in place by wraping it around the whole fiber stuffing; just enough to hold it in.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.