My New 2013 WR450

12 replies to this topic
  • predator9791

Posted May 12, 2013 - 02:55 AM

I just picked up my new 2013 wr450 yesturday. I just got it home started pooring down the rain so really didn't get much seat time. My old bike was a yz 250 2 stroke that I'm going to put up for sale. I read some topics on the forum but I'm up for any advice tips,tricks,mods I should do. Any thing I should watch out for.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1368355724700.jpg

• predator9791

Posted May 12, 2013 - 03:21 AM

Can I take the throttle stop screw out? Or do I have to wait until I buy the new ECM and program?

• miweber929

Posted May 12, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Can I take the throttle stop screw out? Or do I have to wait until I buy the new ECM and program?

Yes and no. But your best performance will be with the comp ECU, its only $100 and sounds like a must have for new owners.

I'm saying this nicely but PLEASE for the love of all that is holy, search and read any thread related to the '12/13, there are only a few so its not a huge thing as this has been asked by (almost) every owner who buys a new one here and already answered many times. Not sure why this has been happening with the new model so much but its an "old" model by now and there is quite a bit of info already figured including slip ons, full exhausts, hard starting hot or cold and whether you need a CDI, remap and/or maps available.

It sounds like a been a great bike and seems everyone has been happy once the wiggles are found out, thinking you'll enjoy it!!!! I'll probably wait another year or so and supplement my 04 (give it to my dad) with a new one.

• predator9791

Posted May 12, 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for all the info. I just did the exhaust mod it was easy to do made bike little louder not much.

Posted May 12, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Congrats. I to just bought one and actually like it better than my previous Yz450 for the trail riding I do. Like mentioned above, do a search as most topics have already been covered. Getting the ECU is pretty much a must if you plan on an aftermarket exhaust or want to tinker with maps but the bike will tackle anything in stock form as it would otherwise. Plenty of different maps for the stock exhaust but just a couple for the aftermarket that I can find. Although there are the Yz450 maps that you can load or use as base.

• predator9791

Posted May 12, 2013 - 12:34 PM

When you buy that ecu does it already have a map on it?
Or do I need to order both the tuner and ecu?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted May 12, 2013 - 02:43 PM

When you buy that ecu does it already have a map on it?
Or do I need to order both the tuner and ecu?

Not sure, I bought mine used but the whole reason for getting it over the stock is so you can reprogram it. If you don't plan on getting an aftermarket pipe or want to mess with different maps I wouldn't bother replacing it. If you know someone that has the programmer its definitely worth the $100.

• predator9791

Posted May 17, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Just got ecu and tuner and throttle stop screw fix. WOW night and day differance best $300 bucks I ever spent.

• lee4095

Posted May 18, 2013 - 05:00 AM

The 2012-13 WR450F's are California green sticker legal, which means they have low emissions and meet sound limits. they get the emissions by making the stock bike run lean, and get the noise limit by limiting the throttle opening. You can remove the stock throttle stop screw (which is on the underside of the throttle body and is the security torx type screw, so you need a torx driver with the hole drilled in the middle) and get immediate big improvement. The stock ECU is not programmable and you are stuck with the factorys set lean maps. The competition ECU (which also comes with the replacement shorter throttle stop screw) comes set to stock so you still have to have the programmer if you want to actually get improvement. I raced a 2012 WR450 last year and bought my son one this year. I recommend you get the GYTR pipe, competition ECU and programmer, GYTR radiator braces, and bark busters. I also have a Scotts steering damper. I raced a YZ450f before, with flywheel weights etc, and love the low down grunt of the WR. I keep the stock pipe and put it on when I ride the mountains in Colorado, to keep the noise down.

• predator9791

Posted May 18, 2013 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for the info going to call dealer and order the gytr pipe. I hope it dont make it annoying loud.

Posted May 18, 2013 - 04:52 PM

I hope it dont make it annoying loud.

Ohhh...it will, at least compared to stock. You can always go for a Quiet Q.

• predator9791

Posted May 18, 2013 - 05:29 PM

Called dealer there on back order till the end of june. Does anyone no where I can get 1 sooner.

• JDLowrance

Posted May 18, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Called dealer there on back order till the end of june. Does anyone no where I can get 1 sooner.

From FMF...it's just a re-badged Power Core 4. You can also get a 94dB (or is it 96dB) quiet core insert for the PC4 for $30. I run one and it knocks the noise down to resonable levels and does't afect your new found power much. I'd also recommend the PB header. It's larger diameter provides better top-end power.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.