08 450f Timing Problems

5 replies to this topic
  • fixxor

Posted May 11, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Hello, my 08 450f started getting hard to start. Meaning not compression when kicking, just it would not start like it used to. I had to kick it like 30 times for it to start. When it finally did it ran fine. I did this 2 times and rode it for a little bit. Now I tore it down to check timing and valve clearance and I am finding this. Cams are WAY off, I did not think it could even run with them like this? Am I missing something? Now here are the questions, I know I need to replace the timing chain and tensioner but..

What damage could have been done?
What else should I do besides the chain and tensioner?

Here are some pictures to help. I would really appreciate some feedback.

timing2.jpg

timing1.jpg

• mpmoto

Posted May 11, 2013 - 06:43 PM

was the engine noisy ? like valves tapping piston ?

fit a new chain and a new tensioner would be a good idea too. one it's all fitted and timing set, check the position on the lobes on the other side.

you want the point end of inlet lobe at approx 10o'clock

you want the point end of exhaust lobe at approx 2o'clock

cam gets have been known to spin on the camshaft giving incorrect timing

• mpmoto

Posted May 11, 2013 - 06:45 PM

I forgot to add, you might want to check the timing chain gear on the crank for wear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fixxor

Posted May 11, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. The engine sounded the same to me. When I change the chain I believe I have to take off the cams. Can I check to see if anything was damaged then?

• mpmoto

Posted May 12, 2013 - 01:13 AM

you wouldn't know unless u took head off. you would know if the valves were tapping piston as it would of been very noisy.

• fixxor

Posted May 12, 2013 - 07:59 AM

Ok. Thank you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.