Clutches

10 replies to this topic
  • Jmullins267

Posted May 10, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Im getting new clutch plates in my 06 yz450. What brand do you guys reccomend? I do mostly harescramble/gp races.

• j753301

Posted May 10, 2013 - 10:42 PM

Oem all the way. Some parts you cant beat stock stuff.

• adam8781

Posted May 11, 2013 - 02:58 AM

eww no

ebc or barnett, steel plates will outlast oem by 2-3x and you can run a magnetic drain plug to pick up the particles.

• OLHILLBILLY

Posted May 11, 2013 - 05:34 AM

I use EBC usually. Best mix of price and quality. Actually have EBC fibers and Moose steels in the KDX at the moment.

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2013 - 06:39 AM

eww no

ebc or barnett, steel plates will outlast oem by 2-3x and you can run a magnetic drain plug to pick up the particles.

OEM plate sets are my clear favorite. Barnett may be OK now, but I have never been happy with the fit or performance of any aftermarket clutch plate other than Hinson, which are frankly not enough better than OEM to justify the expense, IMO.

Clutches in a YZ450 don't shed anything magnetic anyway (almost none of the clutch is steel), so a magnetic drain plug won't pick any of it up, although theyare useful for collecting stray metal shed from the trans gears.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam8781

Posted May 11, 2013 - 11:46 AM

OEM plate sets are my clear favorite. Barnett may be OK now, but I have never been happy with the fit or performance of any aftermarket clutch plate other than Hinson, which are frankly not enough better than OEM to justify the expense, IMO.

Clutches in a YZ450 don't shed anything magnetic anyway (almost none of the clutch is steel), so a magnetic drain plug won't pick any of it up, although theyare useful for collecting stray metal shed from the trans gears.

thats my point, but an ebc/barnett/moose clutch with magnetic drain plug will hold onto the clutch plate shavings and keep it out of the oil.

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2013 - 02:26 PM

thats my point, but an ebc/barnett/moose clutch with magnetic drain plug will hold onto the clutch plate shavings and keep it out of the oil.

Again, there's nothing magnetic about any clutch plate shavings you will find between any two reasonably spaced oil changes. It takes a very long time to wear the steels appreciably, and nothing else is ferrous.

Mag plugs are great as long as they're well made, because they do collect all the normal iron junk from the gear box.

• adam8781

Posted May 11, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Again, there's nothing magnetic about any clutch plate shavings you will find between any two reasonably spaced oil changes. It takes a very long time to wear the steels appreciably, and nothing else is ferrous.

Mag plugs are great as long as they're well made, because they do collect all the normal iron junk from the gear box.

Yes there is, the STEEL clutch plates, Ive run steel plates in every bike i have ever owned, with a mag drain bolt, every change there is a bit of metal silt on the magnet. it comes from the clutch plates. oem are aluminum, I like steel plates for how much longer they last, and a magnetic drain plug will pick up what comes off of them.

I weekend of being at the track, change the oil when i get home, with only a few hours on the oil there is always something stuck to the drain plug from the steel clutch plates in the form of tiny metal shavings.

• grayracer513

Posted May 11, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Either you don't change your oil very often, or your steel plates are wearing way too fast if you think that any of the iron dust you see is clutch plate. Considering that I ran the stock steels in my '06 for nearly 5 years (easily 300 hours) before replacing them, and even then, they had only lost about .004" in thickness on the average. I replaced them because they weren't flat anymore; they weren't worn.

Since I would have changed oil about 50 times during that time, and the fact that the magnet will ever only see about 20% of the debris from the clutch anyway, how much clutch junk do you suppose I found on the magnet each time?

• zeuszuki

Posted May 11, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Either you don't change your oil very often, or your steel plates are wearing way too fast if you think that any of the iron dust you see is clutch plate. Considering that I ran the stock steels in my '06 for nearly 5 years (easily 300 hours) before replacing them, and even then, they had only lost about .004" in thickness on the average. I replaced them because they weren't flat anymore; they weren't worn.

Since I would have changed oil about 50 times during that time, and the fact that the magnet will ever only see about 20% of the debris from the clutch anyway, how much clutch junk do you suppose I found on the magnet each time?

I concur with Gray. If you are burning up clutch "steels" as you say then you have something set up wrong. Actually pulled my clutch set out of my '11 450 yesterday - 95hrs , heaps of abuse ( mostly in the forest ), looks and measures up well within spec' .

• 99raptor

Posted May 26, 2013 - 02:17 PM

I've used several after market clutches,,,none seem to be equal to the OEM

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.