Grip Install Please help!!

13 replies to this topic
  • shu993

Posted December 08, 2003 - 02:07 PM

Hello all,
I am installing grips on my new renthals and would like to know what you guys use for glue. We used to use Aqua Net in the bike shop, but I don't know if that would work on the motor.

Thanks,
John

• oldbones

Posted December 08, 2003 - 02:14 PM

I used some spray paint inside the grips, worked fine. In fact, the grips are now pretty worn out, so it's time to change them, and they haven't slipped yet.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted December 08, 2003 - 02:49 PM

spray paint and safety wire.

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 08, 2003 - 04:07 PM

I use GaskaCinch. It's a contact cement type gasket sealer sold in some auto parts stores. Sticks great and is very easy to cleanup when it comes time to replace grips. It's very similar to the grip glue shops sell but it's a fraction of the price (an 8 oz can is like 3 or 4 bucks).

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 08, 2003 - 04:08 PM

Womens Hairspray. :) Just dont let her catch you with it. :D

• KentuckyWR

Posted December 08, 2003 - 04:54 PM

Then wrap them wire in at least three places!
You'll be set!

• shu993

Posted December 08, 2003 - 06:16 PM

Thanks guys,
I am going to try and use the Aqua Net hair spray trick. Then I will wire them. I might throw a little spray in my hair too. Just to give me that real hip look. HaHa.
Thanks again,
John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MxnDoc

Posted December 08, 2003 - 07:32 PM

I'd try 3M's spray 77 adhesive. Then use an air compressor nozzle to spray into grip as you insert it onto the bar. This makes it go on real eaaasssyy! :)

• basicblues

Posted December 08, 2003 - 10:43 PM

What type and size of wire does everyone use and where do you buy it?

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 09, 2003 - 10:13 PM

I use standard safety wire you can buy at the bike shop or get a large spool online from Baha Designs or others. Safety wire has the right properties to allow you to twist it tight and not worry about it wanting to spring back and unwind like standard wire.

• sjw

Posted December 10, 2003 - 10:54 AM

honda grip glue !!!

• drzphatkid

Posted December 10, 2003 - 07:17 PM

Believe it or not WD-40 and wire works great!!!I read it in dirt rider a couple of years ago and have been doing it ever since.It has to set over nite,but works very well.. :)

• dirtstiff

Posted December 10, 2003 - 07:36 PM

PBDBLUE, I just noticed your' list of bikes and I too have had several of the same, but the one I thought stood out the most was the IT 490. That bike had every making of the present bikes; descent suspension and handling. But what I remember most was the power, 5th gear wheelies, blazing top end and reliability were the hallmark for the IT I owned. One bike I wish I hadn't gotten rid of. I actually have thought about a vintage restoration on one if I could find a reasonable one. Sorry, just dreaming. :)

• james_b

Posted December 12, 2003 - 06:39 PM

1. Wrap bars with friction tape. 2. Douse friction tape with gasoline. (WD40 works too) 3. Slide grip on. 4. Let sit a few minutes. 5. Safety wire. 6. Done. Also, when it's time to remove the old grips you can cut through the old grip and tape with a razor blade and there will be no mess from any glue to clean up before putting on a new pair. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.