07 yz450f clutch help

7 replies to this topic
  • EastTn450_2

Posted May 09, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hey guys, just picked up a new to me yz450. So I get the bike home and am riding it around my yard. As soon as the bike warms up I start noticing a weird sound from the clutch area every time I pull out, but only when I try pulling out slowly so I didn't tear up my yard. I later found out that there was a 200 dollar racing clutch installed on the bike, but I don't race, and I would rather pull out smoothly and slow because I'm not racing. So I was wondering for the sake of my newbeshness, if there is anyway I could adjust it so I am not forced to pull out fast everytime. If I don't rev it and dump the clutch the bike makes a horrid grinding sound kind of and most likely dies if I don't grab the clutch immediately. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense I am kind of In a hurry here. Haha. But anyway thanks guys ill answer any questions if you need more clarification.

Also I already tried researching this and came up with nothing. So sorry if this has been covered already on TT

• KcDavis

Posted May 09, 2013 - 11:01 AM

What's a "racing clutch" ?

• EastTn450_2

Posted May 09, 2013 - 12:41 PM

That's exactly what I said when the guy I got the bike from told me. He gave me a name but I can't remember, it was something like Wilson's or some crap? He said that its just meant to grab a lot quicker and a lot harder upon releasing the lever. But I don't know too much about the insides of a clutch and the basket and all that. But it had all been replaced. All I know is when I slowly pull out the clutch makes a horrid sound and the bike almost dies. And if your wondering yes I know how to use a clutch I have been riding for over ten years. I just don't fool with the mechanics stuff

• ekulb14

Posted May 09, 2013 - 02:41 PM

a HINSON clutch kit i would imagen, a fine clutch used by many race teams but sorry to tell ya but no pro's bike makes a horid sound and stalls. You may want to buy a manual and start inspecting.

Edited by ekulb14, May 09, 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Could have been anything; Wiseco, whatever. In any case, it's BS, because part of what a racer needs is a clutch that can be feathered smoothly, and none of the premium clutches, including OEM, will do anything like what the former owner or you are describing. Not only that, the stock clutch plate set is right around $200.

Probably going to need a set of plates, and you may need new basket cushions. No adjustment for this problem.

• EastTn450_2

Posted May 09, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for the input guys, if I wasn't completely broke I would just let someone else deal with tearing it apart and figuring it out. I just don't want to continue riding it and end up costing me more money. I had the same problem with the EXACT same sound in my old yzf600 street bike. A couple of turns on the clutch cable and it fixes it, but no prevail today on the 450. Idk I'm at a loss. But thanks anyway!

• Lighterknot

Posted June 20, 2013 - 06:47 PM

I also just picked up a 450 and I think the clutch needs to be adjusted but wanted to make sure this isn't normal for dirtbikes. With the bike running I can tell a big difference in the sound of the engine with the clutch out as compared to with the clutch in. My R6 street bike also did this so I am thinking it's normal, but then as soon as I put it in first gear, the bike starts to move forward a little bit even with the clutch engaged all the way. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something different about a dirtbike clutches before I start adjusting it but I am thinking it shouldn't start pulling at all.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2013 - 06:25 AM

I also just picked up a 450 and I think the clutch needs to be adjusted but wanted to make sure this isn't normal for dirtbikes. With the bike running I can tell a big difference in the sound of the engine with the clutch out as compared to with the clutch in. My R6 street bike also did this so I am thinking it's normal, but then as soon as I put it in first gear, the bike starts to move forward a little bit even with the clutch engaged all the way.

The noise part is normal: http://www.thumperta...e/#entry4444207

As to the creeping in gear, that's caused by clutch drag, the failure of the clutch to release cleanly when disengaged. This can be caused by cable adjustment (you should have 3mm of free play in the cable), but also by plates that aren't flat enough anymore, unevenly sagged springs, or severe notching of the basket fingers or clutch hub.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.