Coolant is cloudy?

3 replies to this topic
  • ericus

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hi. Today I started up my YZ450F for like 30-60 secounds, and after that when I inspected my coolant level I noticed that the coolant has gone cloudy. I didn't see trough it, down to the radiator fins as I used to be able to do. At first is was these tiny, tiny bubbles in it, like it was sparkling water. So I waited for like 10-15 minutes and checked again, still the same but no bubbles that I could see.

There was no oily film on top of it, and when I dipped a piece of paper into it the paper came up light, clear blue, like the color of the coolant. When checking the engine oil dipstick the oil looks just healthy.

When I got the bike I changed the coolant from green (maybe propylen, don't know) to blue (ethylene). I flushed it out before changing, but maybe not enough?

What could be causing this, or is it normal?

For what it's worth, here's a picture of it:
https://dl.dropboxus...0509_162557.jpg

• ericus

Posted May 10, 2013 - 01:30 AM

Please help me out with this!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2013 - 06:30 AM

It could be a number of things, but almost all of them are nothing to worry about. If you're concerned about it, just change it out again. Cloudiness could be nothing more than a reaction to being heated in contact with air, or sediment stirred up by the fresh coolant.

• ericus

Posted May 10, 2013 - 07:00 AM

It could be a number of things, but almost all of them are nothing to worry about. If you're concerned about it, just change it out again. Cloudiness could be nothing more than a reaction to being heated in contact with air, or sediment stirred up by the fresh coolant.

Thank you very much! I changed it to propylenglycol, we'll see if it happens again.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.