4 Speed tranny~

2 replies to this topic
  • The_Dave

Posted December 08, 2003 - 10:07 AM

Guys,

As you know I have been having my share of issues with the Mighty XR650R. As of last week I fixed the Clutch issues I had. I took her out to the dunes to test and finally get some riding in. Well, the clutch works excellent...the transmission is another story....

Seems that dropping it in to first gear is no problem, let out the clutch and it is all good...now, shift to second and &%$^#%@$!)&^@...something is bad wrong! Hmmmm....what to do now? Well, I tried 3rd and it was fine, so was 4th and 5th! So, F-it! I got me a 4 speed...for now anyway, I am doing Dumont next weekend and then I will tear it down (AGAIN) and rebuild the tranny...Sheesh!

Any you fellers see any reason I can't operate without 2and gear?

Regards,

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JR650

Posted December 09, 2003 - 05:30 PM

na, if its not making any funny noises in 3rd then i wouldnt worry. The pig doesnt mind being short shifted anyways so skipping a gear probably wont hurt its feelings too bad. I would change your oil and filter though, in case the remains of your second gear are in there? wouldnt want it packing up something else, JR

• The_Dave

Posted December 09, 2003 - 11:13 PM

I believe that "second" gear in of itself is fine. The way the transmission works, second gear is a "window" gear and rides on a smooth bearing surface. Fourth (or fifth, I can't remember) is a "splined" gear and has 4 "dogs" that engage the windows on second gear locking second gear to the countershaft. I believe that these "dogs" are worn and will not engage second properly. I have always had second gear issues with this bike and often miss-shift it from first to second. I am thinking that the clutch issues I had last week, slamming into gear finally did it in. I am just unhappy that I have to split the cases (again!) just to change one gear. I am, however, not going to let it spoil my weekend to Dumont. I will just ride it as a 4 speed and rip it apart next week.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.