05 WR450 fork swap with 06 YZ450

6 replies to this topic
  • kcracing

Posted May 07, 2013 - 04:58 PM

I have an 05 WR450 that I would like to put 06 YZ450 forks on. Besides the extra ears on the WR forks for the odometer gear is there any difference between the two years? Are they both 48mm at the triple tree?Thanks

• Yamaryder29

Posted May 07, 2013 - 05:31 PM

They are both 48mm, so it should be a direct swap into your triple clamps.

• kcracing

Posted May 07, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I think the spacing may be different from what im reading. Will 06 triple trees bolt right on my 05 WR.?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2013 - 06:31 AM

The wheel spacing, or rather, the tube spacing is different. The '06 YZ450 forks are 2mm farther apart than the earlier forks, or later WR forks, for that matter. But the wheels, axles, and spacers between '03-'07 were all the same. Yamaha made up the 2mm at th eaxle by moving the axle lugs inboard 1mm each to accommodate the existing wheel setup. What that means if you intend using the WR clamps is that the wheel would be offset to the right 1mm, and the axle would overhang the right lug by 2mm. Not too big a correction to make, either by trimming the left wheel spacer 1mm (.040"), or by recentering the rim over the hub with the spokes. It can be done. I know guys who have.

And, the '06 clamps do just bolt right onto a WR, anyway.

• kcracing

Posted May 08, 2013 - 09:21 AM

i was thinking about picking up a cheap 06 triple clamp, would i also need the axle from the 06?

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2013 - 12:32 PM

i was thinking about picking up a cheap 06 triple clamp, would i also need the axle from the 06?

The '06 YZ450 forks are 2mm farther apart than the earlier forks, or later WR forks, for that matter. But the wheels, axles, and spacers between '03-'07 were all the same.

• NitrousR1

Posted May 11, 2013 - 06:02 AM

This seems to be a very popular swap with WR owners. Expect to re-valve the YZ forks as they are very stiff for off-road riding. If you are doing motocross they should be good, but are still harsh on braking/accel bumps and small hits. Look on the WR forum-many guys have done and are doing this swap.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.