Paddle Tire for 426?

6 replies to this topic
  • Speedracer426

Posted November 25, 2001 - 06:30 PM

I need some advice from those who have experience riding a 426 in the dunes. What brand/size/paddle count worked best for you. I have never ridden in the sand with a paddle and I understand that paddle selection is fairly important.

Did you increase the mainjet size? Did the bike ping using the stock jetting?

Thanks in advance.

Speed Racer

• SMP

Posted November 25, 2001 - 11:27 PM

I run an 8 paddle Turbo from Kings tire and also a front ribbed tire in the sand, very good combo. Went with the stock jetting and I put a K&N filter with an Outerwears, you can use a Filterskin if you want to use your stock filter.

I went thru my stock rear sprocket after just a few rides and switched to a steel one, which is half the price and twice the weight of the aluminum one.

Wash your bike well after riding in the sand and pay more attention to the areas that need greasing, you will have to do it more frequently, the sand is very destructive to bearings.

You will love your 426 in the sand, not a 2stoke bike out there will touch you.

• Glen_T

Posted November 26, 2001 - 01:51 PM

I would add to SMP's setup, make sure you have an extra-long chain. The paddle tire will expand under power from centrifugal force and tear your mud-flap up. If the tire tears at the flap, it could crack your airbox. The last time I mounted a paddle, I thought I had plenty of clearance only to tear my mud-flap to bits. But, I had fun destroying it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nvrlift

Posted November 26, 2001 - 05:55 PM

i use an 8 paddle "skat trac"...some say it fits better than the dheng shin but i dont see any difference except the skat track is $20 more. just run the stock flap and let it get tore up and buy a new one later....

• motoxpress

Posted November 27, 2001 - 11:50 AM

How do you prevent the sand from getting into the rear shock?

• SMP

Posted November 27, 2001 - 03:04 PM

They make a rear shock cover for dirtbikes, I beleive it is made by Outerwears, your dealer should be able to order it for you.

• Glen_T

Posted November 28, 2001 - 06:00 AM

YUP! The outerwears work real good!

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.