2001 Yz 426 street legal conversion

5 replies to this topic
  • DunmireD001

Posted May 05, 2013 - 09:21 PM

So I just recently scored an 01yz 426 with very little riding Time on it. So little that I had to clean carb and jets due to them clogging up from it not being ridden... My next plans for it are to turn it into a supermoto. I have read a few threads on this and I am confused as to the best way to go about it.
I understand I will need a wr 450/426 stator and flywheel I believe, but what after this... My plans are to install a battery in the air box and from the battery I will use that to power the headlight/ taillight/ blinkers/ and vapor speedometer cluster.
My question is from stator to battery what will I need to buy. I really just want to be able to get enough power from the bike to the battery so that It will maintain a charge. Any advice on this would be great. Also if you could explain why I need certain parts that would be helpful. I like to get a better understanding of what does what that way when I have issues I can diagnose them and make the repairs

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:24 AM

Unless you use a WR ignition box, you will need to modify the stator. The battery will require a rectifier to convert the AC produced to DC, and a voltage regulator. These two functions are often combined in a single component.

http://www.thumperta...52#post10674552

The topic has been posted an number of times. Search for more info.

• DunmireD001

Posted May 06, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Actually after further investigation I see mine is actually a wr model that someone took all of the lights off of and made it more of a yz... I even ran the VIN # to confirm this and sure enough its a wr426f... But I see they just tucked all or the old wiring up along the frame, so now it's just a matter of chasing down the wiring, hooking up a battery, and ordering new parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GottaHangOn

Posted May 08, 2013 - 02:12 PM

Gonna take a bit more than that. The stock lighting system is powered by AC current. Not DC as your battery will require. It has been a learning experience for me but all in all pretty easy.

• jas99

Posted May 09, 2013 - 06:20 PM

I have a 99 yz400f and purchased a complete used wiring harness, switches, stator, electronic box, and flywheel off a 99 WR 400 f. I would like to be able to have a headlight and tail light but would prefer to not have a battery. Do I actually need to change my wiring to the WR harness? After reading this thread, I'm thinking that I don't??? If I use the WR stator, flywheel and switches will I need to change the electronic box to the WR? Will I need a rectifier or regulator? I realize that some of these questions may be obvious to some, but I'm a little unclear on it and don't want to fry my system. Thanks in advance of any advice....

• GottaHangOn

Posted June 07, 2013 - 10:44 PM

If you have a WR stator, it can be made to work with your YZ CDI, and with the OE regulator no battery is needed. The lights will operate only when engine is running and at idle will be less then ideal. The wiring harness need not be swapped. It all depends on how in depth you wish to go with it. A switch isnt even really needed if you dont care to shut off the light.

Edited by GottaHangOn, June 07, 2013 - 10:45 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.